The Student Room Group

Personal statement (architecture)

I want to study architecture in University but I am finding it hard to form the rest of m personal statement. I do not know what to include in the following paragraphs.
Reply 1
Original post by Shifts
I want to study architecture in University but I am finding it hard to form the rest of m personal statement. I do not know what to include in the following paragraphs.

If you haven’t defiantly talk about any work experience that you’ve done and what you learned from it also make sure to include how your studies make you good enough for the degree and also what you have done for the community that could be used for the university community aswell
Original post by Shifts

Please don’t waste space talking about work experience or trying to link your current studies to architecture.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/hive-articles/writing-a-personal-statement-for-art-and-design-courses Has some ideas about what is useful and relevant for creative degree PSs
Original post by Shifts

hi! im a first year at manchester school of architecture so feel free to ask me for advice. with mine, i structured it as the following:

1. short intro about why i wanted to study it
2. what inspired me to get into architecture
3. my work experience
4. my a levels
5. conclusion to summarise

i'll have to disagree about the work experience point as most universities recommended including it, but also i made sure to keep it short and straight to the point. if you'd like, i can send you mine for inspiration, or have a read of yours
The point around work experience is that most universities recognise that it’s difficult for pre-degree students to get meaningful architecture work experience as most studios focus placements on part 1 and part 2 graduates. That means that applicants who have found placements are often more likely to be from a privileged or wealthy background and so admissions decisions will never be based on work experience content in a PS.

Reflections in a PS on the realistic understanding of what a career in architecture involves is well worthwhile - but there’s plenty of ways to get insights into that without a work experience placement at an architecture firm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending