The Student Room Group

Unis for part-time linguistics degrees (south of England)

I'm interested in studying for a degree in Linguistics/English Language & Linguistics part time in London or the south of England (basically anywhere within commuting distance of Hampshire by train).
I'm interested in all aspects of linguistics but particularly the history and development of languages.
Any recs would be greatly appreciated!
Bump
Do you have an interest in any particular language families/groups? If so that may give you some more options. I can't think of any for just linguistics off the top of my head though, as someone who had philological interests and also was looking to study part-time commuting from Hampshire so did spend some time looking for this.

If you're interested in Semitic languages, Jewish languages or Cuneiform languages (or intersections of those) UCL's Hebrew and Jewish Studies BA is available part-time and they certainly do have a few people working on various historical linguistic and generally ancient language related areas. You could also potentially take linguistics (theory) modules in the psychology and language sciences dept there potentially (although they are very generative and not very historical linguistics oriented), or classics options (there is normally every year an introductory module in linguistics/historical linguistics run by classics as a first year module for example - which does not presuppose any language background, it's a linguistics module effectively).

If you're interested in Indo-European languages/classics type stuff with potentially philological/linguistic approaches, Bristol offers their classics/classical civ courses as part-time in some manner apparently - unclear if this is funded as a part-time degree proper or is just a full-time funded degree available in part-time mode.

SOAS has various certificate programmes that can be done part-time and you may be able to take some linguistics modules on them, although the degrees are full time. Birkbeck also has a part-time (and also evening teaching format) classics course but I don't think they're very linguistics/philology heavy. Southampton offers all their humanities courses part-time but they don't really have much in the linguistics or philology regimes (and I don't think the MFL courses fall under the humanities section either for that matter).

All of these are very much language centred though, and then the linguistics (historical and otherwise) would develop from that. So if you aren't keen on learning languages themselves and just about learning the linguistic theory stuff I think it's a bit limited :s-smilie:
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending