The Student Room Group

Applying to MIT from Northern Ireland

I'm considering applying to MIT for an engineering course, but being from Belfast it seems unlikely I'll even stand a chance.
For context, I got 11A*s at GCSE and have had consistently high academic grades throughout school. I hopefully will achieve 4 A*s at A level in Maths, Physics, Computer science and Geography. I know that in the US, grades alone aren't enough but do I stand a genuine chance with mine?
In terms of extra curricular, I was a digital mentor and led the coding club for a year. I also have given multiple presentations and speeches as part of my mentor role as well as representing my school at the COP27 climate simulation event. I play football for the school and a local team as well as coaching my local youth teams for a few years. I have completed work experience with PWC, Thales and Kainos, taking leadership roles within each. (Sorry for the monologue)
That's most of the important stuff I do, is that anywhere close to the amount of extra curricular activities needed for MIT?
Is there anything else I need to do/can do to give myself a better chance at getting in, or am I wasting my time applying for American colleges?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm considering applying to MIT for an engineering course, but being from Belfast it seems unlikely I'll even stand a chance.
For context, I got 11A*s at GCSE and have had consistently high academic grades throughout school. I hopefully will achieve 4 A*s at A level in Maths, Physics, Computer science and Geography. I know that in the US, grades alone aren't enough but do I stand a genuine chance with mine?
In terms of extra curricular, I was a digital mentor and led the coding club for a year. I also have given multiple presentations and speeches as part of my mentor role as well as representing my school at the COP27 climate simulation event. I play football for the school and a local team as well as coaching my local youth teams for a few years. I have completed work experience with PWC, Thales and Kainos, taking leadership roles within each. (Sorry for the monologue)
That's most of the important stuff I do, is that anywhere close to the amount of extra curricular activities needed for MIT?
Is there anything else I need to do/can do to give myself a better chance at getting in, or am I wasting my time applying for American colleges?

Ur not wasting your time, and theres no reason why applying from northern ireland would make ur application worse, if anythign americans quite like the irish apparently. The reality tho is that u probably wont be in, this isnt down to u as a person but its just the stats. Last year 2 people from the whole of UK got into MIT I think, but I would absolutely say to apply, Im applying too
Reply 2
Original post by Ariichu
Ur not wasting your time, and theres no reason why applying from northern ireland would make ur application worse, if anythign americans quite like the irish apparently. The reality tho is that u probably wont be in, this isnt down to u as a person but its just the stats. Last year 2 people from the whole of UK got into MIT I think, but I would absolutely say to apply, Im applying too

It's a long shot anyway, I would still be looking for other uni's through UCAS. Only 2 from the UK is kinda crazy though. Me and You can be the 2 this year hopefully.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
It's a long shot anyway, I would still be looking for other uni's through UCAS. Only 2 from the UK is kinda crazy though. Me and You can be the 2 this year hopefully.

Yea I would always prioritize a UK ucas application over US, and just apply to a couple of US universities as a hopeful maybe, so that u dont get too disapointed if u get rejected, but obviously that would be very good to be accepted. Good luck to u tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending