The Student Room Group

How is Computer Science at UOB & Aston Uni like?

I'm debating between Computer Science at Aston and UOB.

I just wanted to know about how many hours/days a week lectures there are at each for their degree courses + how many of those are compulsory to attend in-person?
Original post by owowo
I'm debating between Computer Science at Aston and UOB.
I just wanted to know about how many hours/days a week lectures there are at each for their degree courses + how many of those are compulsory to attend in-person?

Hi, I am a final year student at Aston Uni studying Computer Science.

I can't give you an estimate on hours but in first year, I would have to go into uni probably 3 days out of the 5 and then in 2nd year and final year it has been max 2 days. For final year, it does depend on the modules you choose that determine how many times you come in but you don't need to think about that for a while.

Although I do recommend attending as many sessions as you can, a lot of people don't turn up after the first semester of 1st year and they still do really well as long as they catch up in their own time. The only modules where attendance has been monitored is in Team Project and Human-Computer Interaction which takes place in 2nd year and are teamwork modules which makes sense why attendance mattered. For the other modules, it's okay to miss lectures but do not miss tutorials/labs because the work is sometimes graded and you can easily fall behind. And sometimes graded quizzes takes place in the tutorials/labs, and the professors only reveal the password to access the quiz in the session for a few minutes before changing it.

Hopefully this answers your question!
Original post by xBlueCrystalx
Hi, I am a final year student at Aston Uni studying Computer Science.
I can't give you an estimate on hours but in first year, I would have to go into uni probably 3 days out of the 5 and then in 2nd year and final year it has been max 2 days. For final year, it does depend on the modules you choose that determine how many times you come in but you don't need to think about that for a while.
Although I do recommend attending as many sessions as you can, a lot of people don't turn up after the first semester of 1st year and they still do really well as long as they catch up in their own time. The only modules where attendance has been monitored is in Team Project and Human-Computer Interaction which takes place in 2nd year and are teamwork modules which makes sense why attendance mattered. For the other modules, it's okay to miss lectures but do not miss tutorials/labs because the work is sometimes graded and you can easily fall behind. And sometimes graded quizzes takes place in the tutorials/labs, and the professors only reveal the password to access the quiz in the session for a few minutes before changing it.
Hopefully this answers your question!

Is it worth it in Aston Uni? Or do you regret it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending