The Student Room Group

Help with engineering. What do I study? Foundation degree?

Hi I’m taking a gap year. Applying ucas 2024, achieved grades are BCC in politics, philosophy and English language. Was 1 mark off a B in politics (annoyingly) but not getting it remarked.

I’m looking at engineering foundation degrees because I know I don’t have the right grades or subjects for a normal degree. Can someone recommend me good engineering foundation courses?

I’ve looked at UOB but their required grades for engineering foundation is BBB. I have BCC. I have extenuating circumstances but I still don’t think they’ll accept me.

Aston is a little lower at CCC. Are they good? Id like to go somewhere that’s good but in West Midlands area or at least close to West Midlands because I’m waiting for treatment from cmht.

Should I just do an access to HE course?
Original post by annastasiqaxx
Hi I’m taking a gap year. Applying ucas 2024, achieved grades are BCC in politics, philosophy and English language. Was 1 mark off a B in politics (annoyingly) but not getting it remarked.

I’m looking at engineering foundation degrees because I know I don’t have the right grades or subjects for a normal degree. Can someone recommend me good engineering foundation courses?

I’ve looked at UOB but their required grades for engineering foundation is BBB. I have BCC. I have extenuating circumstances but I still don’t think they’ll accept me.

Aston is a little lower at CCC. Are they good? Id like to go somewhere that’s good but in West Midlands area or at least close to West Midlands because I’m waiting for treatment from cmht.

Should I just do an access to HE course?

I can't comment which uni would accept you outside of grade and subject requirements for their foundation degrees.

However, I can comment on the type of Access course that you would need. Use the following search engine to find the appropriate Access course: https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search. The course would likely need to be in engineering (not science, because there are little to no maths units). The criteria of your Access course needs to have 15 credits in maths and 15 credits in the science that you would need to do (usually physics, but it can also be chemistry or biology, depending on the engineering degree that you want to do).

Personally, I would spend the gap year doing A Level Maths + the 1 science that you need (along with the practical assessment if it's relevant to the course that you want to do). It would be more flexible and you have more options to which uni you can apply for.

It's also difficult to help you find foundation years for engineering degrees if you're not specific about the branch of engineering that you want to go into (it's a pretty huge field).

Quick Reply

Latest