The Student Room Group

tips on getting into computer science at uni (hopefully at a russel group)?

Does anyone have any extracurriculars/supercurriculars they recommend for me as a person who wants to go to a russel group uni for computer science (specifically at UCL) and any other things I should be doing to increase my chances of getting in? So far all I've got it is online work experience for Fujitsu, attending literature society at my school and leading a session, silver/bronze dofe and I entered an essay competition that I haven't received results for yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do 1 or 2 online courses that actually link to what you would study in computer science ( I talked about a machine learning/ data science course) or even better complete a programming project ( I did a virtual assistant with Python) and explain it in a way that shows your enthusiasm for the subject. Just show that you’re proactive in your approach to study as computer science is a course that requires you to do a lot of the work in your own time.
Reply 2
You need examples of 'academic' interest etc beyond just your A level syllabus.

Reading etc suggestions from Cambridge (good for all Unis) -

The new Turing omnibus, A Kee Dewdney, Palgrave Macmillan, 2003, ISBN 978-0805071665. Remember to try the exercises at the end of each chapter.

Computational Thinking by Jeannette Wing of Carnegie-Mellon University

How to think like a mathematician, Kevin Houston, Cambridge University Press, 2009,ISBN 978-0-521-71978-0. Don't be misled by the title; this book is absolutely relevant for computer scientists. It includes many worked examples and also illustrates common mistakes.

Some obvious Moocs (short online -free- courses from major Unis -
Introduction to Quantum Computing (futurelearn.com)
Computer Programming for Everyone - Online Course - FutureLearn
Mathematics for Computer Science: Essential Skills - FutureLearn
Reply 3
Original post by Vic_I
Do 1 or 2 online courses that actually link to what you would study in computer science ( I talked about a machine learning/ data science course) or even better complete a programming project ( I did a virtual assistant with Python) and explain it in a way that shows your enthusiasm for the subject. Just show that you’re proactive in your approach to study as computer science is a course that requires you to do a lot of the work in your own time.

Alright, I'll try that (thank you so much)!!
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
You need examples of 'academic' interest etc beyond just your A level syllabus.

Reading etc suggestions from Cambridge (good for all Unis) -

The new Turing omnibus, A Kee Dewdney, Palgrave Macmillan, 2003, ISBN 978-0805071665. Remember to try the exercises at the end of each chapter.

Computational Thinking by Jeannette Wing of Carnegie-Mellon University

How to think like a mathematician, Kevin Houston, Cambridge University Press, 2009,ISBN 978-0-521-71978-0. Don't be misled by the title; this book is absolutely relevant for computer scientists. It includes many worked examples and also illustrates common mistakes.

Some obvious Moocs (short online -free- courses from major Unis -
Introduction to Quantum Computing (futurelearn.com)
Computer Programming for Everyone - Online Course - FutureLearn
Mathematics for Computer Science: Essential Skills - FutureLearn

Thanks for your reply!! I didn't take a level computer science at my school (my a level choices were chemistry, english literature and mathematics) and I got a 6 (1 mark from a 7) in my GCSE. I feel like this will be a problem in the future, but I really am interested in the subject, so will participating in lots of supercurriculars/extracurriculars be helpful in improving my chances?
Which essay competition did you partake in?
Reply 6
Original post by EnigmaChess
Which essay competition did you partake in?

The Northwestern University one
Original post by jessster555
Does anyone have any extracurriculars/supercurriculars they recommend for me as a person who wants to go to a russel group uni for computer science (specifically at UCL) and any other things I should be doing to increase my chances of getting in? So far all I've got it is online work experience for Fujitsu, attending literature society at my school and leading a session, silver/bronze dofe and I entered an essay competition that I haven't received results for yet?

They mostly want to see your interest in Maths and problem-solving. If you have no programme to present read or watch online university or youtube lectures on AI, cybersecurity etc. All they need is a few lines that show your enthusiasm about what you read/watched.
Reply 8
Original post by BreadForce
They mostly want to see your interest in Maths and problem-solving. If you have no programme to present read or watch online university or youtube lectures on AI, cybersecurity etc. All they need is a few lines that show your enthusiasm about what you read/watched.

Got it, I’ll make sure to do this ASAP (thank you so much!!)
Reply 9
Original post by jesster987

I've just sent you a private message detailing most of the things mentioned on my application and I think this will be highly constructive given that I have offers from the institutions you are trying to target (not UCL specifically, though I was briefly considering it, but rather for Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, Manchester, Durham).

I don't feel comfortable sharing it with you on a public forum so opted for private message instead. Hope you understand.

I forgot to mention this but my GCSEs were 9999999988 with the 8s in English Lit and RS. I am predicted 5 A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Chemistry and EPQ. However, in hindsight, if I were to go back to year 12, I would have dropped EPQ at the drop of a hat.

If I get in, I will be the first person in my family to study at a UK university so since no one else has had this experience of applying in my family to the top UK unis, I chose to throw myself in at the deep end head-first. I really enjoyed the EPQ experience and I've picked up loads of useful skills but there were times where I simply felt that it was a burden.
Original post by jesster987

And try to do Maths supracurriculars. I learnt some extra which I used in my programme but since you can't, mention some Maths which is not in the curriculum that you've read about and you've found fascinating which then made you read/research something else.
Original post by vnayak
I've just sent you a private message detailing most of the things mentioned on my application and I think this will be highly constructive given that I have offers from the institutions you are trying to target (not UCL specifically, though I was briefly considering it, but rather for Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, Manchester, Durham).

I don't feel comfortable sharing it with you on a public forum so opted for private message instead. Hope you understand.

I forgot to mention this but my GCSEs were 9999999988 with the 8s in English Lit and RS. I am predicted 5 A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Chemistry and EPQ. However, in hindsight, if I were to go back to year 12, I would have dropped EPQ at the drop of a hat.

If I get in, I will be the first person in my family to study at a UK university so since no one else has had this experience of applying in my family to the top UK unis, I chose to throw myself in at the deep end head-first. I really enjoyed the EPQ experience and I've picked up loads of useful skills but there were times where I simply felt that it was a burden.

Now that's the real deal 😁
Reply 12
Original post by BreadForce
And try to do Maths supracurriculars. I learnt some extra which I used in my programme but since you can't, mention some Maths which is not in the curriculum that you've read about and you've found fascinating which then made you read/research something else.

Got it, I missed the deadline for the UKMT maths challenge so I was slightly worried. Thank you so much for the advice!!
Reply 13
Got it, I missed the deadline for the UKMT maths challenge so I was slightly worried. Thank you so much for the advice!!

If you are in year 12 you can do it again in year 13
Reply 14
Original post by vnayak

Sorry the message disappeared from my messages inbox. But I think I can remember a couple of the things you told me. Thank you so so much for going into so much detail too!!
Reply 15
Original post by study23!

Seriously? Wow, I’ll do that then (thanks for clarifying)
Reply 16

Also if you’re a girl there’s a Maths Girls Olympiad with UKMT around the same time for year 12 and 13. I did it and it’s harder because you have 5 big questions to problem solve, but by some miracle I got a merit in it. So if you are a girl you have nothing to lose in that one, and if not the UKMT itself is still great and challenging
Reply 17
Original post by study23!

The only problem is that the Year 13 Maths Challenge isn't alway before the early applicant deadline so you gotta watch out for it. I would anticipate that it isn't and so just do as much as you can.

Yes tell your teacher to enter you.. Also if you are not doing FM Imperial do it on edX. If you are doing FM you can also say that you enjoy practising STEP or other similar entrance questions (unless you are already studying for it but if it)
Reply 19
Original post by vnayak

The only problem is that the Year 13 Maths Challenge isn't alway before the early applicant deadline so you gotta watch out for it. I would anticipate that it isn't and so just do as much as you can.

Right I’ll make sure to keep an eye out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending