The Student Room Group

HL choices

Hello everyone,
So my school only lets us choose one HL with mathematics and English as hl. But this year they limited our choices to only biology or physics (with mathematics and English) and for sl, I have French, philosophy and computer science.
I went to one session each and loved the biology one and I didn’t really like physics.
My question is: if I still don’t know what I want to study in uni, I’m still deciding between pharmacy or architecture or biomedical engineering ( with a lot of other choices but these are the most important. Which subject should I take physics or biology
Original post by Myriamm
Hello everyone,
So my school only lets us choose one HL with mathematics and English as hl. But this year they limited our choices to only biology or physics (with mathematics and English) and for sl, I have French, philosophy and computer science.
I went to one session each and loved the biology one and I didn’t really like physics.
My question is: if I still don’t know what I want to study in uni, I’m still deciding between pharmacy or architecture or biomedical engineering ( with a lot of other choices but these are the most important. Which subject should I take physics or biology

Since you don't know what you want to study yet, it's better to choose the subject you enjoy more. Also, consider all your possible areas of study and choose the subject which is required for most of them. Architecture will definitely require physics, but biomed and pharmacy should be fine with biology, so it would be beneficial to choose a subject that suits most of your options
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Myriamm
Hello everyone,

Only a few unis have required/preferred subjects for architecture so choose the subjects you enjoy and will do well in as the grades will matter. Also, are you going to take a creative subject as the majority of unis will require a portfolio of your work during the application process? Have a look at this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
Original post by idkwhatthenameis
Architecture will definitely require physics

That's not true. Architecture is a design-based degree not engineering.
Original post by Myriamm
Hello everyone,

Physics isn't required for architecture at the vast majority of unis as above, and even the two that do require it (Bath and Strathclyde) only require either physics HL or maths HL - so you still meet the requirement.
Reply 5
Pharmacy will most likely require HL Chemistry with one from HL Bio/Math/Physics. Biomedical Engrg will most likely require HL Math with either HL Bio or Chem. Architecture would probably ask for HL Math and another HL Science or HL Art. Considering that most universities would be asking for a submission of a portfolio, taking HL Art would help you fulfill this criteria as you would be able to use your school coursework for the same purpose.

You'd want to be choosing subjects to your strength. Perhaps don't limit yourself to specific courses just yet which may influence you in picking HL subjects that will not be enjoyable to you, and in turn affect your attainment scores.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by BubblesBB
Architecture would probably ask for HL Math and another HL Science or HL Art.

The opposite is true. Very few architecture courses have required subjects. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
The opposite is true. Very few architecture courses have required subjects. :smile:

Best that the OP browse the entry requirements on various universities to get a sense of what may be needed especially at very competitive universities (if any of them are aspirational choices). If the few courses are the ones the OP has aspirations for, then it may require a re-think of subject combination, don't you think? Although, I have a sense that the OP should choose subjects to OP's strengths, and derive at the appropriate choice of course later on.
Original post by BubblesBB
Best that the OP browse the entry requirements on various universities to get a sense of what may be needed especially at very competitive universities (if any of them are aspirational choices).

I agree - that's why I linked the following thread in my post:

:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by normaw
I agree - that's why I linked the following thread in my post:

:smile:

Wealth of information there! Very nice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending