The Student Room Group

SQE vs LPC and Paralegal job alongside?

Hi, as I have not heard back from training contract applications yet, I just wanted to know what other final year LLB students are planning on doing. I am more inclined towards the LPC as financially, it will be easier on me to do, however I have been hearing that most firms prefer the SQE and will require you to have done the SQE instead of the LPC? I'm not too sure if this is true and would love to hear what you guys think?

Otherwise I may have to take on either one part time alongside a paralegal job and I'd love to know if anyone has or is doing this and if they would say it is doable?
Reply 1
Do not do the LPC - you will waste your time and money. Most firms want the SQE and the LPC will only exempt you from the SQE1.
Reply 2
Hey!

It depends on the examination style that suits you best. If you prefer MCQs and score well in those tests, then go for the SQE since SQE 1 is going to be assed like that. If you prefer more like uni-course assessments, then go for the LPC. But also consider the financial aspect of both and firm sponsorship. The SQE is the new route to qualification and firms offer sponsorship for this but i'm not sure whether they are still sponsoring the LPC - it's something worth asking.

I read a while ago a good article explaining the differences between SQE and LPC by Commercial Law Academy in a newsletter. Maybe you could find that article and give it a read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending