The Student Room Group

Philosophy or Law undergraduate degree?

Here's my dilemma - I absolutely love philosophy. I find it super interesting and would love to study it further at uni, but I also think I'd really enjoy law due to its philosophical elements, and well has its historical and political ones (thus including all my a levels).
I'm completely torn over which one to pick. I know I want to go into a carrier as a solicitor so part of me is saying do the law degree as it will get you there a little quicker, but another part of me is saying do philosophy, it would be great to expand your knowledge on the subject.
My issue is also that I don't want to struggle when I end up doing the SQE as I don't have as full knowledge as law grads despite doing the PGDL. I also worry that doing a philosophy degree would mean it is harder to form legal connections and go to networking events in my undergrad years which may impact on the job I get. Also, I don't want it to appear as if I've only transitioned to law because my philosophy degree offered limited job prospects.
During lockdown, I have also done a lot of legal super curricular activities, attending insight days, doing virtual work experience etc, all of which I have enjoyed, as well as law and philosophy taster lectures. Both incredibly interesting, giving me no further insight into what to pick unfortunately.
Please help me decide, put my mind at rest. Anything anyone can say on either degree, or transitioning from a non-law degree to a legal one, would be great.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tamsinj
Here's my dilemma - I absolutely love philosophy. I find it super interesting and would love to study it further at uni, but I also think I'd really enjoy law due to its philosophical elements, and well has its historical and political ones (thus including all my a levels).
I'm completely torn over which one to pick. I know I want to go into a carrier as a solicitor so part of me is saying do the law degree as it will get you there a little quicker, but another part of me is saying do philosophy, it would be great to expand your knowledge on the subject.
My issue is also that I don't want to struggle when I end up doing the SQE as I don't have as full knowledge as law grads despite doing the PGDL. I also worry that doing a philosophy degree would mean it is harder to form legal connections and go to networking events in my undergrad years which may impact on the job I get. Also, I don't want it to appear as if I've only transitioned to law because my philosophy degree offered limited job prospects.
During lockdown, I have also done a lot of legal super curricular activities, attending insight days, doing virtual work experience etc, all of which I have enjoyed, as well as law and philosophy taster lectures. Both incredibly interesting, giving me no further insight into what to pick unfortunately.
Please help me decide, put my mind at rest. Anything anyone can say on either degree, or transitioning from a non-law degree to a legal one, would be great.

Do whatever you think you will get the best grade in - it will help you in a legal career in the long run :smile:
Reply 2
hmm... regarding the the SQE, i believe it replaces both the LPC and GDL, so you won't be doing the GDL if you do philosophy, at least according to this website?

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/law-sector/solicitors-qualifying-examination-sqe#:~:text=The%20SQE%20will%20eventually%20replace,a%20long%20period%20of%20transition.&text=meet%20the%20SRA's%20character%20and%20suitability%20requirements.

that said, between those two i would say do the law degree. law definitely has philosophical and political elements running through it, in the form of jurisprudence and political theory (so you will study concepts about the morality of law, why we have law, who decides what is law, etc). it's also 90 percent self taught so you can often choose to argue your work from a philosophical or political perspective. also according to the link above it will be helpful to study law before the SQE. and, like you said, probably easier to network during your studies as you'll get all the updates on events, volunteering opportunities etc (bearing in mind half of solicitors in the UK have non-law degrees, so personally can't say for sure if that part matters). however, have you thought about doing a PPL degree?
Here’s a link to KCL’s Politics, Philosophy & Law degree: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/politics-philosophy-and-law-llb

Not only will you be able to learn about philosophy, this is also a qualifying law degree, therefore, giving you the best of both worlds. The only problem is whether you’d want to study in London and if you have the grades required to meet the entry requirement. If not, there should be other similar courses at other unis so you could do some research. Best of luck!
Dear anon332211,

Doing a law degree certainly has its added benefit(legal principles, terms as well as skills e.g. legal research, advocacy & negotiation techniques) while studying a practice-based course such as LPC which I am doing now at BPP although I can't talk about SQE as I am not studying SQE. However LLB as a degree is purely academic as opposed to LPC and likewise I suppose SQE likely to be. However, the workload component needs to be considered which is very intense for LLB compared to any other Humanaities and Social Science degree.
LLB will offer you in-depth understanding and the opportunity to think in depth and apply all core areas of law which PGDL e.g. offers you in quick crash course.
If you are a learner who enjoys going in dept into any topic and knowing all about it that esixts in all different angles, then LLB can quench that thirst but if you enjoy briefly learning about new concepts and move onto other newer ones, then PGDL is ideal.

Fianlly, although a law degree is helpful towards your end goal to become a lawyer but if one is going to be miserable learning the law as opposed any other subject, three years can be too long to bear.

NB:I have met friends and mentors who got training contacts and yet they are almost 50/50 who did law vs non-law which simply shows many routes to the same destination.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you all the best.
Farzana
LPC LLM student & BPP ambassador
Original post by anon332211

I am in the EXACT same dilemma. I would like to study Law and Philosophy really - they both interest me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending