The Student Room Group

Mental health nursing

Hi all
, I recently had an interview for mental health nursing, being put on the spot was awful 😞. I had done a lot of research into the subject and had all my answers prepared. So cut the story short... I received an email saying I was unsuccessful because there were stronger applicants on the day... Following that they also sent an email saying that I would be considered for adult nursing or opd.
Why would they do this? Do they see something in me? Do they think I would be better at these than mental health? I feel so deflated now and confused in what to do? Thanks....
Reply 1
Original post by Welsh12
Hi all
, I recently had an interview for mental health nursing, being put on the spot was awful 😞. I had done a lot of research into the subject and had all my answers prepared. So cut the story short... I received an email saying I was unsuccessful because there were stronger applicants on the day... Following that they also sent an email saying that I would be considered for adult nursing or opd.
Why would they do this? Do they see something in me? Do they think I would be better at these than mental health? I feel so deflated now and confused in what to do? Thanks....

I think there are fewer spaces in the mh field than adult, so they may be space still on the adult pathway.
Have you heard back from any other unis yet?

I think if you do take the adult pathway, you could still change field when you start if theres space, or you could do a top uo after you qualify i think.
Reply 2
Original post by Welsh12
Hi all

Sometimes you are offered an alternative nursing field to work in if you are unfortunately unsuccessful in one but you must have been good enough to get a offer for adult nursing.

I would certainly seriously consider doing adult nursing degree because you could reject it and hopefully you'll be successful next year for children nursing but again you might not as it is a gamble.

You can enquire about switching to children nursing at the end of your first year of adult nursing depending on spaces being available for you to do that.

You can still work on children wards as a qualified adult nurse okay so you don't have to worry.

I have a few qualified adult nurses working alongside myself on midwifery and they do a fabulous job. They can't do delivery of babies but can do anything else.

A NHS registered midwife
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending