The Student Room Group

Allegation of fly tipping

Last weekend I was getting rid of some books and clothes and decided to leave a bunch of boxes and black bags outside a charity shop that was closed on the weekend. I left it all on the pavement just outside the shop. It was obvious all the stuff was for the charity shop.

I have been sent a letter in the post saying that the authority is currently investigating an incident of fly-tipping of waste. Apparently its a serious criminal matter and may be prosecuted for this offence.

I have to respond via a form to say that I accept the fine and no further action will be taken. If I give them a ring on Monday to explain how it was all for the charity shop will they let me off of I am I wasting the time I have to send the letter back? If I dont respond to the letter within 7 days I will get prosecuted.
It's worth calling and trying to beg, but since the council have already incurred the expenses of cleaning it up they might hold you to the fine.

Leaving things outside closed shops is deffo considered fly tipping and the shops themselves ask people not to do it. It attracts crime, vermin, puts staff at risk and they can't really take in the stuff for hygiene reasons. (When you think it through, do you really think the possibly unpaid staff want to come in first thing Monday and have to start manhandling and ripping open black bags in the street covered in god knows what? and whatever neat pile you left things in you can bet it didn't stay like that and was prob a scattered eyesore by Monday)
Reply 2
It’s a really antisocial act doing this as the items can get wet and dispersed and someone else has to deal with it. If the shop is closed just take it home and come back later. Even worse at recycling bins where selfish individuals dump masses of cardboard just because the bin is full. This said, it’s not the crime of the century, be remorseful, apologise and say your piece and I imagine you will be treated proportionately
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek
It’s a really antisocial act doing this as the items can get wet and dispersed and someone else has to deal with it. If the shop is closed just take it home and come back later. Even worse at recycling bins where selfish individuals dump masses of cardboard just because the bin is full. This said, it’s not the crime of the century, be remorseful, apologise and say your piece and I imagine you will be treated proportionately

Remorseful - i dumped books and clothes for charity outside a charity shop as it was closed.
Reply 4
Original post by alikhan-123
Remorseful - i dumped books and clothes for charity outside a charity shop as it was closed.

Precisely, pay the fine and learn from it
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
Precisely, pay the fine and learn from it

It was an act of charity and kindness. There was no ill intention behind leaving the bags there.
Reply 6
It was an act of charity and kindness. There was no ill intention behind leaving the bags there.

Well you can try to explain this, but it can have negative consequences for other people and charity shops have notices outside warning it will be viewed as fly tipping

No, but it was a very odd decision on your part.
Reply 8
Original post by 5hyl33n
No, but it was a very odd decision on your part.

There was no signs there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending