The Student Room Group

Chemistry or English literature A-levels

So I'm struggling on what to choose for my third option I have decided to definitely do Biology and French for A-level but I am stuck on whether to do Chemistry or English Literature. I’m predicted to get a 9 in English and I think I would probably enjoy it far more than Chemistry which I don't particularly enjoy and struggle in but I would like to do more of a science based degree in particular something related to animals or healthcare like veterinary medicine or nutrition and a lot of the courses I have looked at require both Biology and Chemistry for A-level so I don't know whether it is better to do Chemistry which I struggle in and don't particularly enjoy but would keep all my options open or stick to English which I enjoy more and am better at although I'm worried it may limit my options?
(edited 2 months ago)
i do bio chem and english lit, english is hell chem is for me perosnally is the easiest and since u wanna do a sciece based degree chem would make more sense. for context i got a 9 for english but getting As and A*s for english at level it really difficult compared to chem for me at least. also at Gcse i didnt like chem found it boring but find it alot more intresting at A level theres a such a big difference between gCSE and a level so if u dot like it at GCSE i dot think that means u would hate it at a level but it depends on you. but honeslty as you can tell im really biased here but its up to you. you also wouldnt need english for the degrees u wanna do but some may require chem like vetinary so not taking chem would limit your options in degrees, so if ur really usure tyou could take the 4 and drop one when u acc experienced it.
Original post by Saima.Hussain.
i do bio chem and english lit, english is hell chem is for me perosnally is the easiest and since u wanna do a sciece based degree chem would make more sense. for context i got a 9 for english but getting As and A*s for english at level it really difficult compared to chem for me at least. also at Gcse i didnt like chem found it boring but find it alot more intresting at A level theres a such a big difference between gCSE and a level so if u dot like it at GCSE i dont think that means u would hate it at a level but it depends on you. but honeslty as you can tell im really biased here but its up to you. you also wouldnt need english for the degrees u wanna do but some may require chem like vetinary so not taking chem would limit your options in degrees, so if ur really usure tyou could take the 4 and drop one when u acc experienced it.

yeah I feel like chem would defo be more useful but i guess the only thing is i find it a bit difficult at gcse and i know it would be a lot harder at a level so do you have any tips for a level chem?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Ano9ymous
yeah I feel like chem would defo be more useful but i guess the only thing is i find it a bit difficult at gcse and i know it would be a lot harder at a level so do you have any tips for a level chem?

i would deffo say religiously use chemrevise notes their so precise and contain all the information you need and probably the only notes you will need. i think for you pre reading before you do a lesson in skl is super helpful so you can already have a rough understanding so when in lesson you can ask more meaningful questions and even prepare some questions your stuck on, i used to do this in yr 12 because i had fear of looking dumb in front of everyone and doing this made me undertand things alot quicker in lessons. do as many past paper questions as you can i use PMT and savemyexams. also for pre reading i normally watch a video by eliot rhintoul or allery chemistry and read some chemrevise notes, but you dont need to fully understand it before the lesson. ask questions in class dont be shy trust me youd rather look dumb in class than when you get your test back so if ur stuck ask the teacher.
I do bio, chem and English lit. I’d say only do chemistry if you absolutely have to. It is an extremely hard A level (for me personally) and if you don’t need it it’s not worth it. I much prefer my English lit alevel to my chemistry. The workload is a lot lighter, it’s easier to understand and it’s just more enjoyable overall, although it is a lot harder than GCSE English. Take time to figure out what you really want to do. Do you see yourself in a language based career? Explore career paths in English, there are more than you’d think. If it does turn out that you definitely want to do something science based, it would be better to take chemistry. If it’s a requirement for your course there’s really no decision to be made there. But I will say, to go into a science based career (vet med for example) you need to be really passionate about the sciences. STEM courses are typically very competitive and they take a lot of hard work and dedication to get into.

Quick Reply

Latest