The Student Room Group

Growing my A-level grades

Hi guys. Exactly as my title said. I have basically always been a very anxious individual however I never really factored in how that affects my grades.

For context, I have always been an A+ student until I started to attend classes that required active revision and while I would still get As, it was ROUGH getting there.

Now I am a few months away from my A level exams and I am just realising that I am nowhere near where I want to be. If I don’t pattern up now, realistically, it’s not gonna go well. I don’t know how I’m going to get the grades I need to enter uni.

Whenever I want to revise, I just get so anxious thinking about all I have to revise. First year content + all the content we’ve done now. I don’t even know what the assessment objectives are, I’ve just sort of been coasting around and managing to get As and Bs in tests but I know that is impossible with the actual exam because looking at past papers makes me realise I have forgotten EVERYTHING. I am starting to panic but I am too anxious to revise properly. How do I get out of this cycle??? This is ruining everything. I need a good work and study ethic before Uni as well but my anxiety makes it even worse. To make matters worse, personal circumstances such as parents that don’t agree with each other and have moved me about causing me to miss 2 months + of A level study in total has made it so there are gaps in my knowledge and just adds to my anxiety.

So sorry for the rant, I guess I’m just asking for advice. Idk what to do, but I know with the right technique, I can get those grades I want. I do Psychology, English Language and Law.
Hi there, just letting you know I moved your thread to Study Help/A-level forum :smile:

I don't have that many tips for you, I'm afraid, but I think it might be a good idea for you to create a revision schedule and stick to it?
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hi there, just letting you know I moved your thread to Study Help/A-level forum :smile:

I don't have that many tips for you, I'm afraid, but I think it might be a good idea for you to create a revision schedule and stick to it?

Thank you so much! I try to create a schedule and end up too anxious to stick to it because of all I’ve missed and have to catch up with. I know I have to just DO it tho!
Original post by P.r.i.n.z.y
Hi guys. Exactly as my title said. I have basically always been a very anxious individual however I never really factored in how that affects my grades.

For context, I have always been an A+ student until I started to attend classes that required active revision and while I would still get As, it was ROUGH getting there.

Now I am a few months away from my A level exams and I am just realising that I am nowhere near where I want to be. If I don’t pattern up now, realistically, it’s not gonna go well. I don’t know how I’m going to get the grades I need to enter uni.

Whenever I want to revise, I just get so anxious thinking about all I have to revise. First year content + all the content we’ve done now. I don’t even know what the assessment objectives are, I’ve just sort of been coasting around and managing to get As and Bs in tests but I know that is impossible with the actual exam because looking at past papers makes me realise I have forgotten EVERYTHING. I am starting to panic but I am too anxious to revise properly. How do I get out of this cycle??? This is ruining everything. I need a good work and study ethic before Uni as well but my anxiety makes it even worse. To make matters worse, personal circumstances such as parents that don’t agree with each other and have moved me about causing me to miss 2 months + of A level study in total has made it so there are gaps in my knowledge and just adds to my anxiety.

So sorry for the rant, I guess I’m just asking for advice. Idk what to do, but I know with the right technique, I can get those grades I want. I do Psychology, English Language and Law.

heya i do a level psych let me know if you have any questions :smile:
a levels are the first exams (in the uk) where you are tested on your ability to plan and revise effectively; it also tests how disciplined you are.

Set out a timetable and do revision on the daily (flashcards in particular are very useful for any subject apart from maths (try ANKI)).

Also, I want to stress the importance of past papers. And how you should be looking for patterns in the mark scheme and making sure that you mark them correctly and write notes of stuff you get wrong.
Reply 5
Original post by emm4nuella
heya i do a level psych let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Omg that’d be great!!! Realistically, I have questions on EVERYTHING because of my missed 2 months of classes including 1st year (I’m in 2nd) and I’m just wondering how I can plan to get an A or at least a solid grade in it. The PEEL paragraphs and all just seem so so long to put all the content in and our first year teacher (who wasn’t an actual teacher, she was an art student that had an old psych degree or smth) didn’t understand the PEEL structure + the questions so I’m just kind of acing my tests (As) but I don’t actually understand any of it which is terrible for the main exam.
Reply 6
Original post by lanky_giraffe
a levels are the first exams (in the uk) where you are tested on your ability to plan and revise effectively; it also tests how disciplined you are.

Set out a timetable and do revision on the daily (flashcards in particular are very useful for any subject apart from maths (try ANKI)).

Also, I want to stress the importance of past papers. And how you should be looking for patterns in the mark scheme and making sure that you mark them correctly and write notes of stuff you get wrong.

Thank you so much. I definitely need to find a way to push that anxiety out of my mind when it’s time to revise and just DO it. I’ve sort of always coasted along and gotten As and Bs but I’m realising now that even though I’m passing my mocks and tests in A levels, I don’t actually understand it all and no one is gonna give me only one or two questions for the main exam. I definitely need to look at past questions and get my head in the game. Just have to sort this anxiety out.

Quick Reply

Latest