The Student Room Group

Are these target unis for IB??

Loughborough
Manchester
Sheffield
Southampton.

If I do an engineering degree at one of these unis, how hard would it be to get into IB?

Thanks.
None of those are target unis for IBanking, at least for most of the large banks as far as I'm aware. That doesnt mean you can't go into the sector from any of them course but it may make things harder. Manchester is probably your best bet of the four.

You don't need to do engineering or any subject to go into ibanking. You could just as well do social policy at LSE or viking and old norse studies at UCL and have a better chance by virtue of going to a target uni.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
None of those are target unis for IBanking, at least for most of the large banks as far as I'm aware. That doesnt mean you can't go into the sector from any of them course but it may make things harder. Manchester is probably your best bet of the four.

You don't need to do engineering or any subject to go into ibanking. You could just as well do social policy at LSE or viking and old norse studies at UCL and have a better chance by virtue of going to a target uni.

Thanks for your response. Are any of these at least semi-target unis? Are you telling me that an applicant studying Viking studies at UCL stands a better chance than me if I do electrical and electronic engineering at Southampton/sheffield/loughborough?
Original post by amanda23
Thanks for your response. Are any of these at least semi-target unis? Are you telling me that an applicant studying Viking studies at UCL stands a better chance than me if I do electrical and electronic engineering at Southampton/sheffield/loughborough?

Probably yes, assuming you have the same work experience (which may be harder to get at a non-target or semi target uni). Investment bankers don't solve differential equations, they fanny around in excel. It's not that technical of a job by all accounts. At least not more than any other generalist grad scheme role as far as I can see.

I don't think the set of semi target unis is as well defined as the set of target unis and might vary more vetween banks?
Reply 4
Probably yes, assuming you have the same work experience (which may be harder to get at a non-target or semi target uni). Investment bankers don't solve differential equations, they fanny around in excel. It's not that technical of a job by all accounts. At least not more than any other generalist grad scheme role as far as I can see.

I don't think the set of semi target unis is as well defined as the set of target unis and might vary more vetween banks?

So I basically have no chance? They’re good unis for engineering so I’m surprised at this answer.
So I basically have no chance? They’re good unis for engineering so I’m surprised at this answer.

I agree, they are good universities for engineering. But engineering firms are looking for different things than investment banks.

Engineering is not investment banking and something being good for one does not make it good for the other!

You have as much chance as anyone else going to a non-target/semi-target as applicable for whatever subject I would expect.
Reply 6
I agree, they are good universities for engineering. But engineering firms are looking for different things than investment banks.

Engineering is not investment banking and something being good for one does not make it good for the other!

You have as much chance as anyone else going to a non-target/semi-target as applicable for whatever subject I would expect.

Alright. I just noticed uni of Nottingham has a foundation year for engineering. Would you recommend I substitute it for Southampton? Southampton is really really good for engineering but I want to keep my doors open for finance
(edited 3 months ago)
Alright. I just noticed uni of Nottingham has a foundation year for engineering. Would you recommend I substitute it for Southampton? Southampton is really really good for engineering but I want to keep my doors open for finance

I think they're probably equivocal for IBanking?
Reply 8
I think they're probably equivocal for IBanking?

I thought notts was considered a semi target while Southampton was not even close? If I do sub my decision which don’t think I should replace notts with:

Sheffield
Southampton
Loughborough
(edited 3 months ago)
I thought notts was considered a semi target while Southampton was not even close? If I do sub my decision which don’t think I should replace notts with:

Sheffield
Southampton
Loughborough

Perhaps. Going to a non-target isn't going to make it impossible, it just makes things a bit harder I gather and you'll need to be more proactive.
Reply 10
Perhaps. Going to a non-target isn't going to make it impossible, it just makes things a bit harder I gather and you'll need to be more proactive.

What do you think I should sub notts for?
I’m thinking about removing Sheffield from my application since Southampton engineering is really strong
What do you think I should sub notts for?
I’m thinking about removing Sheffield from my application since Southampton engineering is really strong

If you're resolutely fixed on going into investment banking why limit yourself by focusing just on engineering? Or otherwise apply to UCL/Imperial/warwick for engineering.

The best options for engineering aren't necessarily the best for ibanking as noted so at a certain point you need to recognise focusing on one might be at an opportunity cost for the other.
Loughborough
Manchester
Sheffield
Southampton.

If I do an engineering degree at one of these unis, how hard would it be to get into IB?

Thanks.

Hi @amanda23 ,

It's great to hear you are considering studying at Loughborough!

I would recommend taking a look at the specific engineering course you would like to study at Loughborough on our study page. If you scroll right to the bottom of the course page there are contact details for that course. They will be able to help with specific course related questions and may be able to help you with this.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions about Loughborough please do ask 🙂

Alex
Reply 13
Why not Warwick? I don't think its particularly competitive for engineering?
Reply 14
Original post by ajj2000
Why not Warwick? I don't think its particularly competitive for engineering?

I’m doing a foundation year since I don’t have the correct a-levels, and I don’t think Warwick offers that with my subject choices. I recieved an offer from Sheffield today so I’m thinking about substituting Loughborough for Nottingham? Any advice as to which is better for investment banking?

Loughborough is ranked 7 in the UK in general, while Nottingham is significantly lower. However Nottingham is considered a target uni and Loughborough isn’t?

Engineering wise Nottingham is ranked a little higher so I really don’t know what to do. I’m a little put off by how low it is ranked overall compared to Loughborough
(edited 3 months ago)
I’m doing a foundation year since I don’t have the correct a-levels, and I don’t think Warwick offers that with my subject choices. I recieved an offer from Sheffield today so I’m thinking about substituting Loughborough for Nottingham? Any advice as to which is better for investment banking?

Loughborough is ranked 7 in the UK in general, while Nottingham is significantly lower. However Nottingham is considered a target uni and Loughborough isn’t?

Engineering wise Nottingham is ranked a little higher so I really don’t know what to do. I’m a little put off by how low it is ranked overall compared to Loughborough

Nottingham is often termed a semi target, its we’ll recruited for IB. But not at the same level as Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick/Imperial.

I’ve known students from both “target” and non-target backgrounds get into top firms. It certainly easier to make it through the initial recruitment rounds from a target.

From a non-target you need to be on the conveyor belt for spring weeks day one. Signing up to the financial services society. Be very highly motivated, its a tough and really pushes those who want it in IBD/S&T/markets etc. non-target has much higher success rate in back/middle office roles.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending