The Student Room Group

Stay local for uni & move in to halls?

Should I go to my local uni (30 min drive) and move into student halls?

It’s a really good uni, and I do rlly love the city I’ve grown up around. I think I’d have a good social life and get a good degree by going there, but I’m just scared of regretting not moving away - as that’s what everyone else I know is doing, and what I’d always originally thought I’d do, but I just can’t deny how good the uni is anymore simply for the sake of “moving away”. Also, it’s a relatively cheap city to live in.

Has anyone else done this before? As in, stay local but still move into halls. Did you regret not moving further away?
I think the most important factors are do you like the city/town the uni's in and if you love the course structure. If these boxes are ticked for you there's no need to move away just for the sake of moving. I was born and raised in London and went to uni in London and I had the time of my life there so no regrets at all.
Anon,

If you like the uni, the city, and it's close by, you think you will have a good social life, and it's not too expensive then that's brilliant : )

You do not need to move just because other people are moving! Students at the university will be from different places so you won't miss out on meeting new people and expanding your social circle.

You could move into halls and meet really great people and form great friendships, but you could also move into halls and not get on well with the people you share with and make most of your friends from your course. Moving into halls will give you more independence, but might not necessarily be where you make your friends.

If you really want to have more independence, it might be an idea to explore this option once you've made friends with people you would like to share with in the second year.

You could also move to a new place after you've completed your degree, so you shouldn't feel like you have to move now just because other people are.

This year could be a good opportunity to save some money and to put it towards something nice next year e.g. a holiday.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous

It’s a really good uni, and I do rlly love the city I’ve grown up around. I think I’d have a good social life and get a good degree by going there, but I’m just scared of regretting not moving away - as that’s what everyone else I know is doing, and what I’d always originally thought I’d do, but I just can’t deny how good the uni is anymore simply for the sake of “moving away”. Also, it’s a relatively cheap city to live in.

Has anyone else done this before? As in, stay local but still move into halls. Did you regret not moving further away?

Hi!

While I moved away for uni so I can't share a personal experience of this, I would say to not worry about what other people are doing! If the course and environment are right for you, go for it! Even though it is only 30 mins away you will still be away from home so you will still get all the independence that comes along with moving away. You can always move further away after uni if you want to try living somewhere new!

Hope this helps,
- Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Hi @Anonymous

It is of course really hard to say what is right for you as this decision is tricky and I can see why you are divided! I moved away to university and I do think its was the right decision for me. It helped me to build so much independence and confidence. I made lots of friends and fully felt like I was embracing the university experience. I think if you like going out clubbing/ drinking them living in halls is a massive bonus as it is so much easier. I am about 1 hour 20 minutes by car or 3 hours+ by train.

I do think a good idea would be to live in halls but go the local university if you feel like this is the university for you. That way you can still be close to the city you've grown up around whilst also getting the university experience of living in halls. It's a tricky one, is there anywhere else in particular you'd love to live and study? If there is I would say do it, as university is such a unique opportunity to live somewhere else. I was desperate to move away from my home town and I have really enjoyed the experience, but don't feel pressured to do this just because others are. If there is nowhere else you'd really like to go then I would say to live in halls at your local university and I am sure you will have a great experience there as once you are there it won't make much difference where you are I don't think :smile:

I hope this is helpful. I am sure you will make the right decision for you,

Good luck,

Katie - Second year Educational Psychology student
(edited 6 months ago)

You could see how commuting goes and reassess the situation in November/December? If you want to do Halls for the 'experience' you could do student accomm for first year and live at home for 2nd and 3rd year if your not a fan :smile:
It's probably similar in other universities but at the uni I'm at you can do a part year application for Halls. Also, if you want to move into halls or a student house part way through I wouldn't worry, as a lot of people drop out around Christmas time leaving people needing others to take over room contracts etc. Another thing to consider is if you want to work part time or do multiple societies, and whether commuting would interfere with any available time you'd rather use for something else.
(edited 8 months ago)

Hi there

Current Cardiff uni student here

If you're happy in your home city and think that the course and the university are the best ones for you, then I'd say that what everyone else is doing doesn't matter. Definitely don't go to a university less suited to you just for the sake of moving away.

Regarding moving into halls in your home city - i'd say that this is a great option to be included in university life and meet the most people. However, it is a financial consideration if it's worth it or not.

I hope this helps :smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 7
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @AnonymousIt is of course really hard to say what is right for you as this decision is tricky and I can see why you are divided! I moved away to university and I do think its was the right decision for me. It helped me to build so much independence and confidence. I made lots of friends and fully felt like I was embracing the university experience. I think if you like going out clubbing/ drinking them living in halls is a massive bonus as it is so much easier. I am about 1 hour 2o b y car or 3 hours+ by train.

I do think a good idea would be to live in halls but go the local university if you feel like this is the university for you. That way you can still be close to the city you've grown up around whilst also getting the university experience of living in halls. It's a tricky one, is there anywhere else in particular you'd love to live and study? If there is I would say do it, as university is such a unique opportunity to live somewhere else. I was desperate to move away from my home town and I have really enjoyed the experience, but don't feel pressured to do this just because others are. If there is nowhere else you'd really like to go then I would say to live in halls at your local university and I am sure you will have a great experience there as once you are there it won't make much difference where you are I don't think :smile:

I hope this is helpful. I am sure you will make the right decision for you,

Good luck,

Hello! Thanks for replying. :smile:

I’d originally planned to go to another uni about 4 hours away, and it is a good uni that I liked when I looked round, but it’s in a much smaller area, and the campus is a lot more boxed in. I just don’t think I’d really get the uni experience there, it’d feel more like still being at college if that makes sense?

If I end up regretting not moving further away I guess I can always try reapplying another year maybe? I doubt that’s gonna happen, but it’s a scary thought that it might. I guess I’m mostly just stressed about changing my plans this late on haha.

thanks again!
Reply 8
I think the most important factors are do you like the city/town the uni's in and if you love the course structure. If these boxes are ticked for you there's no need to move away just for the sake of moving. I was born and raised in London and went to uni in London and I had the time of my life there so no regrets at all.

Thanks for replying!

London is quite a contrast to where I’m from haha! But I’m glad to hear you still had a good time! Did you study in a similar area to where you grew up? Or did you not visit home that much? I think the convenience of being near home is nice (going home for an evening instead of having to spend £££ on a weekend trip), but it’s also not something I want to lean on too much if you get me?

Thanks! :smile:
Thanks for replying!

London is quite a contrast to where I’m from haha! But I’m glad to hear you still had a good time! Did you study in a similar area to where you grew up? Or did you not visit home that much? I think the convenience of being near home is nice (going home for an evening instead of having to spend £££ on a weekend trip), but it’s also not something I want to lean on too much if you get me?

Thanks! :smile:

hahaha yes i know london is very dffrnt to what you were saying but i just used it to point out that there are lots of ppl out there who go to their local uni and absolutely love it! no my uni was in central and i grew up quite a way away so it wasnt close by but i did have the advantgae of being able to go home easily when i wanted to.
Hello! Thanks for replying. :smile:

I’d originally planned to go to another uni about 4 hours away, and it is a good uni that I liked when I looked round, but it’s in a much smaller area, and the campus is a lot more boxed in. I just don’t think I’d really get the uni experience there, it’d feel more like still being at college if that makes sense?

If I end up regretting not moving further away I guess I can always try reapplying another year maybe? I doubt that’s gonna happen, but it’s a scary thought that it might. I guess I’m mostly just stressed about changing my plans this late on haha.

thanks again!

Hi lovely,

It is completely understandable and absolutely okay to change your mind! You can always change your mind during clearing as well. Just take some time to reflect and make sure you are doing what feels right don't feel pressured into making a quick decision. I visited a few universities that felt like colleges and I thought the same thing it kind of put me off as well.

Four hours is a long time... I know someone who was around that distance who used to find it hard because she felt like she couldn't go home when she wanted to because of time and money. I think the local uni being close to home will just mean you have that option there for if you do miss home it will be a lot more convenient. I really don't think it will make much difference to your university experience as you are living in halls so it won't really matter that you are only half an hour away. I think like you said, you like the local university and it is a good university and you like the course, I think the fact that its only half an hour away is a benefit whilst getting the experience of university and living in halls :smile: One of my best friends also stayed in halls at my local university and he had the most amazing university experience.

I'm not sure if your university will offer it but if it is after your second year that you regret not moving away, lots of universities offer sandwich years where you can either get a placement in the UK (which could give you the opportunity to move) or move abroad and have a year studying abroad as part of your course! I know lots of people at Edge Hill who have done this and have had the best experiences.

I am sure you will have the best time whatever you decide,

Hi there,

If you really would love to study local then go for it, there's a lot more time to "move away". You might think you know the city so well but that might change when you go to uni, afterall there are tons of holidays to travel around. If it's cheaper, offers a better social life, comfortable and convenient then I don't see why not. You shouldn't let the decisions of others determine your choices, you don't know what goes on in their lives and vice versa even if some are friends. I know a lot of people that stayed local and they've enjoyed their time. The fact that you're also moving into student halls means that it'll be a completely new experience for you plus you'd avoid getting home sick. Hope you reach a decision that'd be best for you.

Benedicta,
Digital ambassador-UoS
Reply 12

Dear OP, the answer really depends on if you really want to move out or if you are comfortable living locally with your family. As someone living away from home for years now, let me tell you, moving away is one of the best decisions I have ever made for my growth and development. You not only learn a lot of valuable skills and life lessons but also get to experience the uni life 24/7! Living around people your age with similar interests can also elevate your learning experience and help you make many new friends. However, it is mentionable that living with your parents has a lot of perks as well. The rent situation is not as dire, and your parents always support you when you feel low. If you don’t want to move to a student hall because of the not-very-negotiable expenses and possible restrictions, you can also move into an independent property or a purpose built student accommodation. Sites like amber, Yuugo, etc, can be helpful in this case.

Make sure you understand the responsibilities and requirements that come with moving away before you actually make a decision, though. Good luck for the future!

Hi there!

I go to the university in the same town as I grew up in so hopefully I can help!

For the first couple of years, I lived at home and this was a great way to save up some money! I didn't feel like I missed out on a lot during the week, it was more during the evenings and weekends where it got a little annoying if I wanted to spontaneously go out! For the last 2 years, I moved out and I've also really enjoyed this experience! It means you gain a bit more independence and have more of the uni experience - not to mention that you can get to your lectures a lot quicker!

If you have any other questions, let me know below!

- Rebecca, 4th Year at UCLan
hi :smile:
if i were in your position, i would go to your local uni. the cost of living is low, you love the area, the uni is great, and your social life would be good, which is important for making career connections after graduation. :smile: after graduation, you will have the chance to travel. maybe your course offers the opportunity to travel.
would moving into halls affect your funds?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending