The Student Room Group

Reference Mature Student

Hiya I've been out of education for a year (age21 so technically mature student) and I am currently being ignored by my old lecturers when emailed asking for reference do you think using a previous employer is okay? what advice should i give them in terms of what to write? thnx
Original post by pxxchyel
Hiya I've been out of education for a year (age21 so technically mature student) and I am currently being ignored by my old lecturers when emailed asking for reference do you think using a previous employer is okay? what advice should i give them in terms of what to write? thnx

If you've only been out of education for a year then most universities will require an academic reference.
Often universities will have a specific department or office you're supposed to contact to request references instead of contacting lecturers directly - have you tried ringing your academic/school/faculty office and asking them if there's a specific address you should be contacting?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you've only been out of education for a year then most universities will require an academic reference.
Often universities will have a specific department or office you're supposed to contact to request references instead of contacting lecturers directly - have you tried ringing your academic/school/faculty office and asking them if there's a specific address you should be contacting?

Hiya yeh I contscted the student advisors at my old college and asked for the email for my old lecturer and its been a few weeks now (i gave the benefit of no reply over xmas break) and its reaching close to the deadline for UCAS that I'm trying to consider other options that also give enough time for a reference to be written.
Reply 3
Original post by pxxchyel

Hi 🙂 I’m in a similar situation. I’m 21 so the time frame that my college will provide a reference has passed. So i’m using my current employer, but if better suited you can use a previous employer.
Most employers aren’t used to writing ucas references like college teachers are so it can be difficult for them to know how to write it. I’d suggest researching what would need to go in the reference and what you would like them to include and discuss this with them, or give them a list of things that you would like to be included which is what i’m doing, especially because it’s getting so close to the deadline. They will just need to discuss your suitability for higher education and what skills you have that would benefit you. Good luck!
Go in person and ask. Some people ignore emails, a sad fact of life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending