The Student Room Group

Feel hopeless, don't know where my life is headed tbh

Almost 21, dropped out of uni last year cus it wasn't going well, didn't really wanna go in the first place but did anyway. Parents disappointed in me. Got my first job last summer, really stressful bad working environment. Quit around Christmas thinking with my experience I'd be able to at least get a Christmas temp job quickly. Didn't. Been unemployed for about 6 months now. Actively looked for any kind of job in that time and had a few interviews but nothing ever comes back. Last resort had to turn to job centre. Now on benefits, jobless, friendless, degreeless, don't leave the house. Have no idea what I want to do with my life. Just feeling like it's pointless and why should even exist at this point.
Reply 1
Sorry to hear you are going through a hard time.

have you tried signing up for any courses like IT or similar?

What are you passionate about that you could do as a career?
Reply 2
Original post by JVM2020
Sorry to hear you are going through a hard time.

have you tried signing up for any courses like IT or similar?

What are you passionate about that you could do as a career?

I applied for a web design course a couple months ago but I still haven't heard anything back. I've also considered going back to uni to do something similar or more practical based but there's no courses in my city and going to a different city is kind of out of the question until I can save up some money. It sounds like I'm making excuses but I'm currently applying for literally every job I see and I have a work coach who helps me from a mental health organisation. I just feel like I've been in this position for so long now it never looks like it's getting better.

I wish I had something I was undoubtably passionate about lol, would make it a bit easier but even since school I've never felt strongly about one particular thing.
Original post by not_0kay
Almost 21, dropped out of uni last year cus it wasn't going well, didn't really wanna go in the first place but did anyway. Parents disappointed in me. Got my first job last summer, really stressful bad working environment. Quit around Christmas thinking with my experience I'd be able to at least get a Christmas temp job quickly. Didn't. Been unemployed for about 6 months now. Actively looked for any kind of job in that time and had a few interviews but nothing ever comes back. Last resort had to turn to job centre. Now on benefits, jobless, friendless, degreeless, don't leave the house. Have no idea what I want to do with my life. Just feeling like it's pointless and why should even exist at this point.

I'm really sorry to hear about the difficult situation you're going through right now. It's not easy when things don't go as planned, especially with education and employment. But please know that you're not alone in feeling lost and uncertain about the future.

Taking care of your mental health is crucial during tough times. If you haven't already, consider reaching out to a mental health professional who can provide guidance and support. They can help you develop coping strategies and navigate through these challenging emotions.

It's also important to reflect on your interests and goals. Take some time to think about what truly makes you happy and what you enjoy doing. This self-reflection can help you gain clarity and direction for your future.

While you may not have a degree, don't let that define your worth or limit your potential. Explore different career paths and industries that interest you. Reach out to professionals in those fields, attend networking events, or even consider volunteering or interning to gain experience and insights. Keeping an open mind and being willing to try new things can lead you to unexpected opportunities.

In the meantime, consider updating your resume and cover letter. Tailor them to each job you apply for, emphasizing your strengths, transferable skills, and any relevant experiences you've had so far. You can also seek feedback from professionals or career advisors to improve your application materials.

Job searching can be a challenging and lengthy process, and it's natural to face rejections along the way. Stay positive and persistent. Remember that setbacks are temporary, and with time and effort, you can find a job that suits you.

Lastly, don't hesitate to seek support from loved ones. Reach out to friends, family, or trusted individuals who can offer emotional support and encouragement. They may provide valuable advice or help you see things from a different perspective.

Please remember that it's never too late to make positive changes in your life. Take small steps forward, believe in your abilities, and have faith that you will overcome these challenges. You have the potential to discover your purpose and create a fulfilling life for yourself.

You can do it! :dumbells::u:
Reply 4
(Original post by not_0kay)Almost 21, dropped out of uni last year cus it wasn't going well, didn't really wanna go in the first place but did anyway. Parents disappointed in me. Got my first job last summer, really stressful bad working environment. Quit around Christmas thinking with my experience I'd be able to at least get a Christmas temp job quickly. Didn't. Been unemployed for about 6 months now. Actively looked for any kind of job in that time and had a few interviews but nothing ever comes back. Last resort had to turn to job centre. Now on benefits, jobless, friendless, degreeless, don't leave the house. Have no idea what I want to do with my life. Just feeling like it's pointless and why should even exist at this point.

Hi there,

It sounds like you are going through a really tough time and feeling a lot of pressure at the moment? As with the advice below, when feeling like this, taking care of your mental health is really important at these times and the first step to feeling better and overcoming your difficulties. Have you recently spoken to your work coach about how you feel?
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending