The Student Room Group

Transferring from ULaw to MMU / Dropping Out

Hello. I am currently a first year student at ULaw in Manchester studying the LLB through clearing after receiving a poor accodomation offer from my university and as it far away I had second thoughts on going far and how the course is taught there (blended learning with online lectures), mixed reputation and no campus identity means I am not enjoying my time here. I have asked about dropping out and doing a gap year but would have to pay £770 out of my own money as I'll be charged for the whole term and my student loan only covers around £2200 so considering transferring to MMU to study the LLB as I can commute from home. However, because of my feelings and insecurity about ULaw, I am wondering whether I'll be able to pass or get a certain grade in first year in order to transfer plus it is not guaranteed I'll be able to get the offer due to space or whatever though MMU has invited me to make an offer through UCAS for second year entry. Any possible advice or thoughts? It's been on my mind a lot recently and has caused me to cry a couple times. Thanks
Reply 1
i am also in the same boat im not happy where i am studying and wanted to transfer but the fact its not guaranteed made me so anxious so i decided to drop out and reapply again next year. This might not be the best thing for you but it is what i am currently doing. Hope everything works out for you
Original post by patrickcrossley
Hello. I am currently a first year student at ULaw in Manchester studying the LLB through clearing after receiving a poor accodomation offer from my university and as it far away I had second thoughts on going far and how the course is taught there (blended learning with online lectures), mixed reputation and no campus identity means I am not enjoying my time here. I have asked about dropping out and doing a gap year but would have to pay £770 out of my own money as I'll be charged for the whole term and my student loan only covers around £2200 so considering transferring to MMU to study the LLB as I can commute from home. However, because of my feelings and insecurity about ULaw, I am wondering whether I'll be able to pass or get a certain grade in first year in order to transfer plus it is not guaranteed I'll be able to get the offer due to space or whatever though MMU has invited me to make an offer through UCAS for second year entry. Any possible advice or thoughts? It's been on my mind a lot recently and has caused me to cry a couple times. Thanks
Original post by Dichhya12
i am also in the same boat im not happy where i am studying and wanted to transfer but the fact its not guaranteed made me so anxious so i decided to drop out and reapply again next year. This might not be the best thing for you but it is what i am currently doing. Hope everything works out for you

Did you email the university you wanted to go to?
Reply 3
Did you email the university you wanted to go to?

I called them up to ask being a first year also has the benefit of going through clearing.

Hey I'm in the same boat as you I also go to ULaw but in Birmingham and I'm looking to transfer out, have you any updates on your UCAS application? I've also considered dropping out on multiple occasions but the fee has stopped me too. Hope it all goes well!

Hi @patrickcrossley

I'd strongly encourage you to apply for year 2 entry if you haven't already. If you receive an offer from us, you'll be asked to achieve a certain grade in your first year. I completely understand that you're stressed (I would be too!!) and ask that you try your best at your current uni to achieve that grade. That being said, if you don't reach the grade we ask for, we may be able to offer year 1 as an alternative.

Please try not to worry about it too much, and take one step at a time. You can always reach out to our Course Enquiries team if you have any questions and they'll do what they can to help.

Chloe 🙂
Hello. I ended up withdrawing ULaw but paying the fee back slowly to spread the damage so to say. I’m applying for university again this year but instead I’m applying to study History & Sociology at The University Of Manchester as I went off the idea of doing a Law degree as it found too narrow for my possible career types and History was the other degree I considered and the Sociology part can be a minor of my degree as it is of strong interest to me. I originally planned to stay at ULaw but I couldn’t deal with the thought of not getting the grade and then wasting a whole year of funding. Where are you looking to transfer to?

Ah I see, I would’ve withdrew by now too to be fair but I cannot afford to pay back the tuition fee and tenancy fee as it’s way too expensive. I’m also worrying about my grades too but I’m just trying to keep positive.

So since you dropped out in year 1 you don’t have to pay for the FULL course right? Because when I discussed this with one of the staff they said I may still have to pay the fee for the entire course if I leave, which I found was ridiculous but they probably just said that to scare me out of leaving.

I’m glad to see you’re pursuing what you want to do now, im looking to transfer to Brighton, Keele or Ntu as they’re said to have great departments for my course, unlike at ULaw unfortunately.
Original post by caprisun2323
Ah I see, I would’ve withdrew by now too to be fair but I cannot afford to pay back the tuition fee and tenancy fee as it’s way too expensive. I’m also worrying about my grades too but I’m just trying to keep positive.

So since you dropped out in year 1 you don’t have to pay for the FULL course right? Because when I discussed this with one of the staff they said I may still have to pay the fee for the entire course if I leave, which I found was ridiculous but they probably just said that to scare me out of leaving.

I’m glad to see you’re pursuing what you want to do now, im looking to transfer to Brighton, Keele or Ntu as they’re said to have great departments for my course, unlike at ULaw unfortunately.

Hello. You seem to have been misinformed by ULaw. I’m only liable to pay for the first term of the year so 1/3 of £9250 with most paid by Student Finance so the debt isn’t really much. I also lived at home so my situation was less complicated. Yeah, the universities you mentioned were ones I cropped up a lot in my research. I bet a transfer wouldn’t be too hard. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending