The Student Room Group

Feel unliked at work

I’m not enjoying my job. I’ve been working as admin assistant for 5 months and have very little to do. This usually means I do all my work and then go on my phone or do something on my laptop. I work between two offices. In one office I can ask for more work and have more stuff to do. I genuinely want more work and do everything people give me. But at the other one (I work here mainly) I have nobody to ask so end up going on my phone. I also have an hour commute to this office which can be hard three times a week as I wake up at 6am and get home at 7pm.

Today i was brought into a meeting. I have become a bit confused about working from home and who to tell, etc. That’s an easy fix. So they say we need to improve our communication. And also that my boss says I go on my phone a lot. I feel guilty about this as I genuinely do all my work and then go on my phone if I have nothing to do. They said they are very proud of their support team and want to keep it that way which makes me feel worse.

On top of this I don’t think any of my coworkers actually like me particularly. I’m quite quiet at work and prefer to just keep my head down. But it’s a very social office and people like to go out afterwards and have drinks and chat, etc. I do try to join in but everyone’s a-lot older than me. I’m 18 and they are all like 30-50. There’s a couple younger ones but I don’t really see them. I’m not sure I just feel like I don’t fit in. I’d love this if I was a bit older. But I’d prefer to just keep these people at work and go home.

I don’t know I feel like they I’m not well liked or contributing much. But I worry about leaving because they usually go out for drinks or have a dinner if someone leaves. I just feel trapped. And the meeting has made it worse as I feel even more unwanted. And like they regret hiring me. But I’d feel stupid leaving now as they’d think it was connected to the meeting.
(edited 3 months ago)
Hey, if you're feeling like you aren't being given a lot of work, you can ask for more. When they brought up the fact that you were always on your phone, did you tell them you finished all of your work and needed more? Regarding friends, are you actively talking to your co-workers? i know it is hard to talk to co-workers if you are introverted but you may being appearing as unapproachable if you aren't trying to talk to them. Hope this helpes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending