The Student Room Group

Dropping art gcse?

I chose art gcse but i don’t like it. it takes too much time and i don’t think in good enough. i struggled picking my gcse’s, as i couldn’t figure out what i wanted my 9th subject to be. it was between history and art but i thought i would prefer a subject that didn’t require ‘revision’ and was more creative instead. i feel like my friends pressured me into doing art, as most of them are doing it and have drawn outside of school for 1-3 years unlike me (they are also amazing, and will get 9s, whilst i think i will get 5/6, but also aiming for 8/9s in all my other subjects). i feel so embarrassed as i don’t produce work that im proud of. on top of that i procrastinate to the point where i stay up till the early hours to do enough to get through the art lesson the next day. i’ve nearly finished my drawing workshop (since september) and the final piece and all the book work is due after the holidays ( start of january). i think i can do it but the next workshop ia painting, which i causing me a lot of worry - i can barely paint. someone in my art class mentioned they are switching from art to either history or business studies, so that got my thinking whether i should ask to move to the history class, as it would also be scheduled at the same time as my current art class. i could catch up on the work at the minute, but if i leave it much longer i probably won’t be able to.

i have no idea if they will let me switch, but i as i mentioned someone in my class is so maybe they will. i don’t want to talk to my parents about it as i had to convince them it was the right choice in the first place.

btw i started gcses in year 10 in september but im not sure i like it. also worried i will do worse in other subjects due to time consuming projects. one of my other friends is doing history and loves it, and i also loved it in years 7-9, unlike art where i want that keen.

what should i do? do i just continue and hope i improve and begin to enjoy it or do i talk to my parents, admit they are right and get them to email the school and then have to talk to my teachers about swapping classes?

please help 🙏
Reply 1
i suggest you try and switch. you'll only regret it if you didn't attempt to explore other options. i think the whole parents situation is a matter of pride, and that shouldn't get in the way of you achieving the best you can in your GCSEs - again, you'll only regret it in the future.
Reply 2
Original post by aloevera4
i suggest you try and switch. you'll only regret it if you didn't attempt to explore other options. i think the whole parents situation is a matter of pride, and that shouldn't get in the way of you achieving the best you can in your GCSEs - again, you'll only regret it in the future.

what would be the best way to start a conversation about it with them?
Reply 3
Original post by lola825992350
what would be the best way to start a conversation about it with them?

try not to be defiant, but instead accept that you were wrong about your decision to take art. honestly, as much as it will hurt, just try as suck up to them + tell them how right they are - it'll make it easier, i promise!
go and tell them that you have thought about it for a long time, and you are actually being very wise (and brave!) for dropping art, since it would be better to start history late than get a 5 in art. hopefully they will be able see your point of view and aren't too smug about it. but, if they do get a bit 'we told you so', make sure you don't become argumentative - you need to seem levelheaded in this moment so they trust your decision :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest