The Student Room Group

Failed AS exams, will it affect predicted grades?

I did my first AS exam today and I’ve probably got an E or D at most because I only completed one question and basically gave up towards the end (didn't revise enough, can't handle pressure, mental health etc.). I've got 2 more exams to go which I’m obviously planning to work harder on. What I'm worried about is the university predicted grades - I’ve been doing well in this subject and my teacher knows I can do better, but will the results of that test still affect the predicted grades? (I also can't re-sit the year because I've already restarted my A levels) Any advice would be appreciated!! Thank you
Reply 1
I mean it will have significance in deciding your predicted grades. It won't be purely based on that. Predicted grades are based on your grades and how well you've done, throughout the year, Not just one exam. But it obviously will include this exam and have significance as it's the end of year exam

Whatever u get u get and deal with. It's not the be all or end all. U can always try convince your teacher to up it as well.
They will affect your predicted grades, yes. You’re unlikely to be predicted an A if you achieved an E at AS. But, speak with your teachers, it’s up to them.

One option is to apply to university in September, if that doesn’t work out because of your predicted grades, maybe achieve your A-Levels then apply again? There’s more than one route to Uni, don’t worry!
Of course it will. And also, no matter how well you’re doing in class, if it gets to Exams and you can’t be bothered to revise and ‘give up’, I don’t see how you’d even be considered for getting higher than a C.
Original post by MJ4545
I mean it will have significance in deciding your predicted grades. It won't be purely based on that. Predicted grades are based on your grades and how well you've done, throughout the year, Not just one exam. But it obviously will include this exam and have significance as it's the end of year exam

Whatever u get u get and deal with. It's not the be all or end all. U can always try convince your teacher to up it as well.

That's good to know, thanks. It's my best subject in terms of predicted grades so yes, there's hope

Original post by FloralHybrid
They will affect your predicted grades, yes. You’re unlikely to be predicted an A if you achieved an E at AS. But, speak with your teachers, it’s up to them.

One option is to apply to university in September, if that doesn’t work out because of your predicted grades, maybe achieve your A-Levels then apply again? There’s more than one route to Uni, don’t worry!

It's disappointing bc I'll have to probably lower my standards for uni (no Cambridge!) but yes, I guess if i work hard in 2nd year maybe I can get adjustment. Thanks for your help!
Predicted A2 grades are mainly based on the AS grade acheived but if the teacher feels you deserve a better grade they could move it up by a grade or two. However, if you acheived an E in the AS level and wanted to be predicted higher than a C I'm afraid that is highly unlikely as teachers cannot predict unrealistic predictions.
Original post by Zalvager
Predicted A2 grades are mainly based on the AS grade acheived but if the teacher feels you deserve a better grade they could move it up by a grade or two. However, if you acheived an E in the AS level and wanted to be predicted higher than a C I'm afraid that is highly unlikely as teachers cannot predict unrealistic predictions.

I've failed a mock in the past (U grade) which I resit and got my predicted grade (A) and I've been working pretty steadily until now, but as you say I should be prepared for a disappointing result, it was the end of year exams after all. Thanks

Original post by LotusLotus
Of course it will. And also, no matter how well you’re doing in class, if it gets to Exams and you can’t be bothered to revise and ‘give up’, I don’t see how you’d even be considered for getting higher than a C.

I have been revising, but not enough to feel I'd do well I suppose? It was more giving in to pressure and stress than knowing the answers even though I definitely could have done more to prepare. Thanks for the reply
I’ve just finished my A Levels, and I don’t think anyone was predicated anything below a C. Also, teachers are meant to predict one grade above what you got in the exam, as you are expected to improve from now till next year.
Reply 8
Original post by FloralHybrid

I failed to meet the required grades for my desired univeristy, if I re-apply would it be unlikely they will have offers left / places left? Or do you mean apply after a gap year and join a new cohort?

Quick Reply

Latest