The Student Room Group

Why wasn't i even pooled for cs?

Feeling very **** as i just got rejected. I was predicted 4A*s. I got a 7.4 in the TMUA putting me in the top 8.2%, definitely within the acceptance range even assuming everyone above me gets in. I had an amazing personal statement with loads of reasonably large and interesting projects I had done directly related to the course in addition to an entire EPQ on compsci research involving building and analysing a new form of software. In the interview I got both questions i was asked with relatively little help pretty quickly and was able to easily answer the questions i was asked about on my personal statement.

Before today I gave myself an ~80% chance of getting an offer, but I didn't even get pooled. I cant think of any reason i gave them to reject me. Right now i'm just confused at what went wrong.

I've asked for feedback but that will take ages and I really need to know what could possibly have lead to this.
Original post by sphericalcow314
Feeling very **** as i just got rejected. I was predicted 4A*s. I got a 7.4 in the TMUA putting me in the top 8.2%, definitely within the acceptance range even assuming everyone above me gets in. I had an amazing personal statement with loads of reasonably large and interesting projects I had done directly related to the course in addition to an entire EPQ on compsci research involving building and analysing a new form of software. In the interview I got both questions i was asked with relatively little help pretty quickly and was able to easily answer the questions i was asked about on my personal statement.

Before today I gave myself an ~80% chance of getting an offer, but I didn't even get pooled. I cant think of any reason i gave them to reject me. Right now i'm just confused at what went wrong.

I've asked for feedback but that will take ages and I really need to know what could possibly have lead to this.

Apply to American universities such as Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Amherst, Bowdoin, Brown and Dartmouth all of which will cover international student fees and scholarships too. 🙂
Original post by thegeek888
Apply to American universities such as Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Amherst, Bowdoin, Brown and Dartmouth all of which will cover international student fees and scholarships too. 🙂

I really dont want to study in the US. Also I would need to study for loads of exams in addition to the A-levels i'm doing already.
Are you at a fee paying school? Answering anonymously as I don’t want to out myself on here..I know one if my daughter’s teachers patrols the site & I don’t need to look like a tiger parent!

I did some number crunching using the 2023 admissions data to see how many girls from private schools in the UK might get an offer for maths at Cambridge - off the top of my head that number was around 8 out of roughly 250 places. This was based on an 80:20 M:F ratio. Nearly 100 places of the 250 go to international students & the remaining places were 76% state school sourced. I suspect it’s the same with CS…the number of places actually open to your application is much much smaller than the total places (if you went to a fee paying school). They have quotas to hit & ultimately they are aiming to get up to 90% of domestic places being state school sourced.

The international intake is a racket if you ask me but that’s the price domestic students pay for the government capping fees for the last decade.

I’m so sorry you didn’t get an offer - it’s shocking, confusing & painful.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Are you at a fee paying school? Answering anonymously as I don’t want to out myself on here..I know one if my daughter’s teachers patrols the site & I don’t need to look like a tiger parent!

I did some number crunching using the 2023 admissions data to see how many girls from private schools in the UK might get an offer for maths at Cambridge - off the top of my head that number was around 8 out of roughly 250 places. This was based on an 80:20 M:F ratio. Nearly 100 places of the 250 go to international students & the remaining places were 76% state school sourced. I suspect it’s the same with CS…the number of places actually open to your application is much much smaller than the total places (if you went to a fee paying school). They have quotas to hit & ultimately they are aiming to get up to 90% of domestic places being state school sourced.

The international intake is a racket if you ask me but that’s the price domestic students pay for the government capping fees for the last decade.

Thank you so much for clearing this up! The numbers are so shocking! I am also a CS reject at Cambridge (applied to Gonville and Caius) and had no idea how competitive the whole process actually is of you are applying from a private school. Starting to make more sense as to how I got rejected given the lowered odds of getting in but at the same time makes me wonder how people in my year got in for the likes of Economics and NatSci.
Reply 5
Maybe it was your attitude?
Original post by Picnicl
Maybe it was your attitude?

That could be a major reason! One of my friends is the smartest in our year group and he got rejected for General Engineering. His ENGAA was pretty good (first paper was a bit average but second paper was in some crazy percentile of the country, which we all think got him an interview). His interview was reasonably straightforward and he didn't need any help but sometimes, he does get a bit arrogant so chances are if he showed this to the admissions tutors, that will be the reason. The problem is that this wasn't mentioned in his feedback. I can't remember what it was exactly mentioned.
Yeah it does! Thanks a lot! I wish we got these stats last year before we started looking into UCAS because it would have motivated me even more to prepare for my admissions test and interview. What's crazy is the person who got in for Economics got in for Trinity College! Like the most pot luck college of all because of the crazy rejection stories we hear.

I mean it's no wonder that I didn't get in with that 8.4% admissions rate. I was considering reapplying for next year but I think I'll be OK with my offer from Imperial for this year. If anything, the opportunities are probably better at Imperial given that I want to enter industry anyway rather than research.
(edited 2 months ago)

As far as I'm aware Cambridge doesn't have any sort of quotas about fee paying school intake, they just make effort to consider it as part of the context to make the process fair for people that don't get the dedicated oxbridge support. The low intake is due to low applicant rates, it's not accurate to say there are fewer places open to privately educated students. Their goal is to make the process as fair as possible, the 90% target is an indicator of this, not the goal in itself. A good chunk of the colleges actually still offer dispropotionately in favour of private schools (Trinity & John's especially).
Original post by Anonymous #3

As far as I'm aware Cambridge doesn't have any sort of quotas about fee paying school intake, they just make effort to consider it as part of the context to make the process fair for people that don't get the dedicated oxbridge support. The low intake is due to low applicant rates, it's not accurate to say there are fewer places open to privately educated students. Their goal is to make the process as fair as possible, the 90% target is an indicator of this, not the goal in itself. A good chunk of the colleges actually still offer dispropotionately in favour of private schools (Trinity & John's especially).

My aim about showing the split was to point out that not all places listed are up for grabs for any individual applicant. Of 250 maths places touted top line only 8 of those were filled by privately educated girls which happens to be the stat I’m interested in. The real shocker is the 100 places that aren’t available for domestic students. It was discussion intended to bring perspective to the empirically backed chances of being successful from any particular starting point.
Reply 10
Cambridge is already not worth looking at for anyone wanting the 'traditional' Oxbridge feeling. So obsessed with state school applicants. Full of internationals too. I went to a state school but I wouldn't want to be surrounded by people who only had to cram for the last 2 years (Cambridge don't regard GCSE performance too as much as Oxford) or have international money to pay their way. I'd visit Cambridge as a tourist and allow my imagination to fill in what I think is no longer there.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending