The Student Room Group

How does the postgraduate application process work?

Hi,
I want to apply for a postgraduate course (design engineering) at Loughborough but I’m not sure how to do it. Are postgraduate courses completed through ucas or can some be done through the uni. Loughborough has a portal where I can apply but I’m not too sure.
Any advice from anyone who has been through this situation already or knows what do to would be great thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adi_help
Hi,
I want to apply for a postgraduate course (design engineering) at Loughborough but I’m not sure how to do it. Are postgraduate courses completed through ucas or can some be done through the uni. Loughborough has a portal where I can apply but I’m not too sure.
Any advice from anyone who has been through this situation already or knows what do to would be great thanks.

If it’s a 4 year integrated masters that includes an undergrad component then it’s going to be via UCAS, for a one or two Year masters or MRes (requiring a BSc for entry) it will be direct application to the university, there is no “postgrad UCAS” and every institution does its own thing, usually througha web portal with lots of "how to" and "admissions requirements" guidance.
It looks to be a 1 year taught masters so you should follow the ‘taught applications’ guidance in the following page:

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/
Reply 3
Ahh I see, what’s the likelihood of getting rejected even if you meet the grade requirement for the course ?
Thanks for the answers
Ahh I see, what’s the likelihood of getting rejected even if you meet the grade requirement for the course ?
Thanks for the answers

Impossible to say I'm afraid. They'll look at other aspects of your application as well.

I reject people all the time that meet the minimum requirements, but our PG courses are competitive so it really depends what they're looking for.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Impossible to say I'm afraid. They'll look at other aspects of your application as well.

I reject people all the time that meet the minimum requirements, but our PG courses are competitive so it really depends what they're looking for.

Oh okay, can apply for multiple PG courses?
Oh okay, can apply for multiple PG courses?

At different unis? Yes. As many as you like.

At the same uni? Depends on their own rules, I think most are fine, but others may not want you to apply to multiple courses within the same department for example.
Reply 7
At different unis? Yes. As many as you like.

At the same uni? Depends on their own rules, I think most are fine, but others may not want you to apply to multiple courses within the same department for example.

Oh okay that’s great then. The deadline for the course at Loughborough is October on the website, is this a normal deadline for most PG courses, it seems a bit too close to the start of semester? I don’t want to misunderstand the October date for the deadline so I want to know if this is normal. I remember undergrad ucas deadline being so early.
Thanks
Oh okay that’s great then. The deadline for the course at Loughborough is October on the website, is this a normal deadline for most PG courses, it seems a bit too close to the start of semester? I don’t want to misunderstand the October date for the deadline so I want to know if this is normal. I remember undergrad ucas deadline being so early.
Thanks

That is a late deadline, especially if it is not a January start date. I would bear in mind that it might be one where they close the course to applications earlier if they have enough in. I would imagine that date is only for last minute Home students who require less admin.

I would probably check with them whether they expect to still be considering people at that stage.

Usual advice is to just apply as soon as you are ready.
Hi,

Hi @Adi_help

The latest date that we can guarantee to consider applications and any supporting documents (such as evidence of qualifications) for master's degrees courses at Loughborough (for an October 2022 start) is 6 September 2022. However, courses sometimes fill up quickly and I would advise you to apply as soon as you can.

These are the best pages to check for guidance:
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-applications/before-you-apply/
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-applications/how-start-application/

All applications for postgraduate at Loughborough are made online, directly to the University. Once you're ready to apply, you'll need to register for an account on the online application portal, which is here: https://lucas.lboro.ac.uk/web_apx/f?p=100:101::::::

I hope that helps but if you need anything else, just let me know.

Good luck! :smile:

Roxy
Reply 10
Original post by Loughborough Postgraduate Study
Hi @Adi_help

The latest date that we can guarantee to consider applications and any supporting documents (such as evidence of qualifications) for master's degrees courses at Loughborough (for an October 2022 start) is 6 September 2022. However, courses sometimes fill up quickly and I would advise you to apply as soon as you can.

These are the best pages to check for guidance:
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-applications/before-you-apply/
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-applications/how-start-application/

All applications for postgraduate at Loughborough are made online, directly to the University. Once you're ready to apply, you'll need to register for an account on the online application portal, which is here: https://lucas.lboro.ac.uk/web_apx/f?p=100:101::::::

I hope that helps but if you need anything else, just let me know.

Good luck! :smile:

Roxy

Hey,
I’m applying right now and the form is asking for my grades, I don’t have certificates for AS level (I don’t think anyone got them) so if they ask for the certificates later will it be a problem?
Thanks
Hey,
I’m applying right now and the form is asking for my grades, I don’t have certificates for AS level (I don’t think anyone got them) so if they ask for the certificates later will it be a problem?
Thanks

Usually not a problem. If they need anything they can make it a condition of any offer.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Usually not a problem. If they need anything they can make it a condition of any offer.

Appreciate it, regarding referees, the form is asking for there address. Is this their personal address or work address like school? I don’t think teachers would want to give their personal addresses to ex students.
Thanks
Appreciate it, regarding referees, the form is asking for there address. Is this their personal address or work address like school? I don’t think teachers would want to give their personal addresses to ex students.
Thanks

The school address will be fine. They will be contacted via email anyway.
Thanks

Hi @Adi_help

As you've been advised, use professional/academic emails rather than personal ones. There's guidance on providing references here too: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-applications/how-start-application/

Hope that helps :smile:

Roxy
Reply 15
Hi @Adi_help

As you've been advised, use professional/academic emails rather than personal ones. There's guidance on providing references here too: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-applications/how-start-application/

Hope that helps :smile:

Roxy

Hi does the reference letter need to have my full name, application reference number and date of birth fully displayed on the reference? If yes, then in which format is preferred and where can I find my application reference number?
Thanks
Hi does the reference letter need to have my full name, application reference number and date of birth fully displayed on the reference? If yes, then in which format is preferred and where can I find my application reference number?
Thanks

Hi @Adi_help

Yes, please ask your referee to include all those details. When you create your online account on the application portal, here: https://lucas.lboro.ac.uk/web_apx/f?p=100:101::::::, you will be given a temporary reference number which you can add to your reference.
You can also submit your application and upload your reference afterwards (along with any other supporting documents you need to upload).
In terms of format, your reference should be signed and certified (on official letterheaded paper), and you can submit it by:

- uploading via the online application portal
- scanning and emailing it to [email protected]
- posting it to: Postgraduate Taught Admissions, Rutland Building, Loughborough University, Loughborough, LE11 3TU

Alternatively, you can send an email reference if it is sent from your referee’s official university or employer email address. You'll need to email it to [email protected]

I hope that helps but feel free to post or message if you have any other questions :smile:

Roxy
Reply 17
Hi @Adi_help

Yes, please ask your referee to include all those details. When you create your online account on the application portal, here: https://lucas.lboro.ac.uk/web_apx/f?p=100:101::::::, you will be given a temporary reference number which you can add to your reference.
You can also submit your application and upload your reference afterwards (along with any other supporting documents you need to upload).
In terms of format, your reference should be signed and certified (on official letterheaded paper), and you can submit it by:

- uploading via the online application portal
- scanning and emailing it to [email protected]
- posting it to: Postgraduate Taught Admissions, Rutland Building, Loughborough University, Loughborough, LE11 3TU

Alternatively, you can send an email reference if it is sent from your referee’s official university or employer email address. You'll need to email it to [email protected]

I hope that helps but feel free to post or message if you have any other questions :smile:

Roxy

Where can I find my reference number? I’ve got one email but it doesn’t have the reference number on it, the portal doesn’t show it either. Maybe I’m missing something.

Thanks
Reply 18
Also since I’m applying for Postgraduate degree, on the ‘qualifications section’ of the online application do I need to only mention my Bachelors degree? Or do I need to mention my gcse alevels etc.?
Thanks
Also since I’m applying for Postgraduate degree, on the ‘qualifications section’ of the online application do I need to only mention my Bachelors degree? Or do I need to mention my gcse alevels etc.?
Thanks

Usually just your Bachelors unless the application portal says otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending