The Student Room Group

Does it make a difference if I send my UCAS application off in December or January?

Would this make a difference to how the university view my applications whether I send it off in December (now) or January?
no as long as your application is received by UCAS by the equal consideration deadline you are treated the same.
Reply 2
Wait then I’ve got a question? If loads of people apply early and automatically get offers (some of my friends already have), then how do they stop that course from getting over-subscribed before the UCAS equal consideration deadline?!
Original post by lucab0112
Wait then I’ve got a question? If loads of people apply early and automatically get offers (some of my friends already have), then how do they stop that course from getting over-subscribed before the UCAS equal consideration deadline?!

That kind of guesstimating is done before the application cycle starts and when the internal offer making criteria are set. From experience, unis know roughly how many offer holders accept, and of those roughly how many end up attending. They use that info to determine approximately how many offers they want to make, and where to set their offer benchmark. If they overshoot slightly or are right on the money, they close the course at the end of Jan. If not, they just keep it open.

As above, pre-deadline it makes no difference when you apply as to how likely you are to receive an offer, only how long you might wait for a decision.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lucab0112

Unis make FAR more offers than there are places, and they make offers gradually right up to April - they do not 'run out' of offers.
Everybody is entitled to apply to 5 universities but can only go to 1. For that reason universities make far more offers than they have places knowing only a certain percentage will go there. Also not everybody achieves their grades and those that dont might end up being rejected. Most universities dont fill their courses and end up in extra so the vast majority of courses make offers in the knowledge of this. There are a very small number of universities that will exceed their numbers who dont start making offers until after the deadline. There are very few of these so the offers you see others getting wont affect applications received before the deadline. Universities make commitments to ucas they will give equal consideration to everybody who applies before the deadline and ensure that is the case
Original post by swanseajack1
Everybody is entitled to apply to 5 universities but can only go to 1. For that reason universities make far more offers than they have places knowing only a certain percentage will go there. Also not everybody achieves their grades and those that dont might end up being rejected. Most universities dont fill their courses and end up in extra so the vast majority of courses make offers in the knowledge of this. There are a very small number of universities that will exceed their numbers who dont start making offers until after the deadline. There are very few of these so the offers you see others getting wont affect applications received before the deadline. Universities make commitments to ucas they will give equal consideration to everybody who applies before the deadline and ensure that is the case

Absolutely! Universities always give more offers than places they have as they know some people will accept or reject their offers and some people will not achieve their predicted grades. It is advisable to send out your application as early as possible to help reduce stress but even if you send it out in January it won't affect you not getting offers as unis consider everyone equally and give offers based on your predicted grades and personal statement.

Hope this helps!
Z UG IR & Arabic
Reply 7
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Absolutely! Universities always give more offers than places they have as they know some people will accept or reject their offers and some people will not achieve their predicted grades. It is advisable to send out your application as early as possible to help reduce stress but even if you send it out in January it won't affect you not getting offers as unis consider everyone equally and give offers based on your predicted grades and personal statement.

Hope this helps!
Z UG IR & Arabic

Thank you so much! I was a bit undecided when to send it because my predicted grades now are ABC but I might be able to get them up once I get my mock results in January!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending