The Student Room Group

Am i screwed if i havent applied to university yet?

My college is taking a long time to get things ready for my ucas application. they say they will be ready in around 2 ish weeks. but i already see most people have applied and are getting offers. I know they say they give equal consideration to every aplication but people have told me this isnt realistically true and u have a better chance if you apply early. should i be worried? The universities im applying to are Bristol, exeter, york, birmingham and cardiff.
Original post by revo349
My college is taking a long time to get things ready for my ucas application. they say they will be ready in around 2 ish weeks. but i already see most people have applied and are getting offers. I know they say they give equal consideration to every aplication but people have told me this isnt realistically true and u have a better chance if you apply early. should i be worried? The universities im applying to are Bristol, exeter, york, birmingham and cardiff.

You should be fine as long as you submit it before the equal consideration deadline. I wouldn't worry about it because there isn't anything you can do about it at the moment.
Original post by revo349

The people who are telling you are talking rubbish and would be better off keeping their nonsense to themselves instead of misinforming you.

Universities have to give equal consideration to anyone who applies by the equal consideration deadline. This is part of their contract with UCAS and they ensure that happens. You are just as likely to get an offer if your application is received 1 day before the deadline as in September just gone.

They use different methods of ensuring this. Some very popular universities and courses dont start making offers until January. Others make obvious offers or rejections and then look at the others when all applications have been received.

However the reality is most courses dont get filled and end up in extra so universities make offers and rejections now. Universities dont run out of offers. They make several times the numbers of offers they have places as they know that most applicants wont go there and have years of records showing what level of offers are needed to fill spaces so ignore the profits of doom who have no knowledge of how things work and tell them to stop spreading their rubbish.
Reply 3
You have exactly the same chance of an offer whenever you apply - as long as UCAS receives your application before 31 January you'll be fine.
Original post by revo349

Hi!

It's great to hear that you're interested in applying to York! As long as you apply by the UCAS deadline, you will have as good a chance of getting an offer as you would applying early. I'd recommend applying before Christmas though just so you don't have to worry about filling in your application over the holidays.

I hope this helps!

Hazel 🙂
Original post by University of York
Hi!

It's great to hear that you're interested in applying to York! As long as you apply by the UCAS deadline, you will have as good a chance of getting an offer as you would applying early. I'd recommend applying before Christmas though just so you don't have to worry about filling in your application over the holidays.

I hope this helps!

Hazel 🙂

It sounds like OP has already completed their application - they’re just waiting for their college to add their reference, do their checking and submit it to ucas.
Original post by revo349

have you started your UCAS form yet if not start it just fill in the parts you can then you'll need to wait for your collage bear in mid though there is an application fee when you apply. (I didn't know this and had just bought some ski boots luckily I still had enough in my account).
Original post by University of York
Hi!

I hope this helps!

Hazel 🙂

thanks!! will do. i went to see york at an open day not too long ago. loved it
The UCAS deadline is in January, as long as you apply before then it's fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending