The Student Room Group

MEng Uni

Hi, I have 9999999999887 IGCSE + A-level A star in math + predicted A star in further Math, physics and Chemistry.
What are the best universities to study Mechanical Engineering apart from Cambridge and Imperial College London?
Thank you
Original post by UniVerse3
Hi, I have 9999999999887 IGCSE + A-level A star in math + predicted A star in further Math, physics and Chemistry.
What are the best universities to study Mechanical Engineering apart from Cambridge and Imperial College London?
Thank you

Hi @UniVerse3

From my own experience studying engineering, Lancaster University has a great Mechanical Engineering course. We are ranked 9th for Mechanical Engineering (The Guardian University Guide (2024)) and our course is accredited by Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMECHE) and the Engineering Council. We offer both BEng and MEng degree schemes, as well as Year in Industry and Study Abroad options. Our graduates go on to work at some of the top engineering companies such as BAE Systems, Rolls Royce, Sellafield, Jaguar Land Rover, CERN to name a few. There are many opportunities to work with industry throughout the engineering course, some people are able to secure continue to work with those companies after they graduate!

Lancaster University is unique because we have a common first year, all engineering students do the same modules in first year. This allows students to try out a range of different engineering and if you change your mind on which discipline you want to do, you have until the end of first year to decide.There are lots of opportunities for hands-on practical work and many of our coursework projects are interdisciplinary so members of the team do different engineering courses, this approach simulates how project work is done in industry. Additionally, we are a campus based university and we also have a collegiate system (which is very unique!)

Ultimately, the "best university" for Mechanical Engineering is subjective and all depends on what you as an individual are looking for in the course and university, there are many factors to consider when deciding.
For more information: Mechanical Engineering
Let me know if you have any questions!
Izzy (Lancaster University Engineering Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @UniVerse3

From my own experience studying engineering, Lancaster University has a great Mechanical Engineering course. We are ranked 9th for Mechanical Engineering (The Guardian University Guide (2024)) and our course is accredited by Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMECHE) and the Engineering Council. We offer both BEng and MEng degree schemes, as well as Year in Industry and Study Abroad options. Our graduates go on to work at some of the top engineering companies such as BAE Systems, Rolls Royce, Sellafield, Jaguar Land Rover, CERN to name a few. There are many opportunities to work with industry throughout the engineering course, some people are able to secure continue to work with those companies after they graduate!

Lancaster University is unique because we have a common first year, all engineering students do the same modules in first year. This allows students to try out a range of different engineering and if you change your mind on which discipline you want to do, you have until the end of first year to decide.There are lots of opportunities for hands-on practical work and many of our coursework projects are interdisciplinary so members of the team do different engineering courses, this approach simulates how project work is done in industry. Additionally, we are a campus based university and we also have a collegiate system (which is very unique!)

Ultimately, the "best university" for Mechanical Engineering is subjective and all depends on what you as an individual are looking for in the course and university, there are many factors to consider when deciding.
For more information: Mechanical Engineering
Let me know if you have any questions!
Izzy (Lancaster University Engineering Student Ambassador)

Thank you very much, I appreciate the detailed information. Will definitely look into it 🙏
Reply 3
Original post by UniVerse3
Thank you very much, I appreciate the detailed information. Will definitely look into it 🙏
I don't rate the two you mention - they focus on theory not being an Engineer.

My 4 x A* students look at Bath, Loughborough and, if they want F1, Oxford Brookes.

Quick Reply

Latest