The Student Room Group

is it worth finishing my law degree?

I achieved a 2:1 in second year, but the boundary for a 2:1 starts at 58%, which is what i got. im in third year now and seriously considering whether i should stay when it seems likely ill end up with a 2:2. I want to come out with 65% overall for my degree and to do that i need to get at least 70% in all my coursework assessments, of which i have 6, and then 3 exams.

To start with, i have already submitted 2 pieces of work i am happy with which im hopeful are of a first but the last piece i submitted had errors such as the wrong date for the case name but correct citation, i put in one article not quite in the correct referencing format and other errors to do with referencing. tbh its not a terrible mistake , the essay itself good, but i know i wont be getting a first with those errors and i dont know how strict they will be with referencing errors. im worried it may bring me down to a 2:2 with that essay.

Second, i picked a module which has flexible options for assessment but im finding the content a bit tricky to get around. it is on terrorism studies in the UK, which isnt that complex for most, but im a bit slow. as i said, i need to get at least a 70 in my courseworks to get 65% and im not sure i will with this one. the other module is similar to this but i find it more interesting, but its about applying international criminal law to past war crimes, again not very likely ill get a first in that module.

You may be thinking, why choose these modules? the handbook gives a brief overview of what it is and from that i thought they looked very interesting, but now im getting into them they are worrying me.

I also have equity to worry about. the fact that the lecturers basically gave us a disclaimer about this module tells me everything i need to know. this module is extremely hard and now i just dont know how i will cope with it. This may bring my grade down even further.

I also have three exams i need to do well in, which are online, 3000 words in 3 hours.

On top of this, the stress is excessive. i wake up everyday with butterflies, my head is constantly spinning with worries about my past submissions and how i will do in future submissions. I spend everyday in the library, i cant sleep very well. I toss and turn until 1 and then wake up at 5 because i have butterflies and then just get ready for the day. the result of this is that i cannot think clearly at all, and i think its affecting my understanding. Honestly, when i found those errors in that essay i cried because i know i wont get a first in that assignment now and it will bring my grade down. Ive gone to lecturers and student services already but im just constantly in fight or flight mode.

im worried this brain fog is going to affect my clarity for assessments and exams because i proof read the essay a dozen times before i submitted it and didnt once pick up on the errors.
Original post by mermaid019754
I achieved a 2:1 in second year, but the boundary for a 2:1 starts at 58%, which is what i got. im in third year now and seriously considering whether i should stay when it seems likely ill end up with a 2:2. I want to come out with 65% overall for my degree and to do that i need to get at least 70% in all my coursework assessments, of which i have 6, and then 3 exams.

To start with, i have already submitted 2 pieces of work i am happy with which im hopeful are of a first but the last piece i submitted had errors such as the wrong date for the case name but correct citation, i put in one article not quite in the correct referencing format and other errors to do with referencing. tbh its not a terrible mistake , the essay itself good, but i know i wont be getting a first with those errors and i dont know how strict they will be with referencing errors. im worried it may bring me down to a 2:2 with that essay.

Second, i picked a module which has flexible options for assessment but im finding the content a bit tricky to get around. it is on terrorism studies in the UK, which isnt that complex for most, but im a bit slow. as i said, i need to get at least a 70 in my courseworks to get 65% and im not sure i will with this one. the other module is similar to this but i find it more interesting, but its about applying international criminal law to past war crimes, again not very likely ill get a first in that module.

You may be thinking, why choose these modules? the handbook gives a brief overview of what it is and from that i thought they looked very interesting, but now im getting into them they are worrying me.

I also have equity to worry about. the fact that the lecturers basically gave us a disclaimer about this module tells me everything i need to know. this module is extremely hard and now i just dont know how i will cope with it. This may bring my grade down even further.

I also have three exams i need to do well in, which are online, 3000 words in 3 hours.

On top of this, the stress is excessive. i wake up everyday with butterflies, my head is constantly spinning with worries about my past submissions and how i will do in future submissions. I spend everyday in the library, i cant sleep very well. I toss and turn until 1 and then wake up at 5 because i have butterflies and then just get ready for the day. the result of this is that i cannot think clearly at all, and i think its affecting my understanding. Honestly, when i found those errors in that essay i cried because i know i wont get a first in that assignment now and it will bring my grade down. Ive gone to lecturers and student services already but im just constantly in fight or flight mode.

im worried this brain fog is going to affect my clarity for assessments and exams because i proof read the essay a dozen times before i submitted it and didnt once pick up on the errors.

Hi there , @mermaid019754 .
I'm sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough time in third year , I haven't been in your specific situation but I understand what its like to have academic anxiety because I work really hard to keep a first but it gets overwhelming and I'm only in third year.
I will say that maybe get in touch with the officers that help with mental health , academic anxiety can take huge toll on you and some assistance will help even if it's just managing it. Our university offers such assistance but I'm sure others do as well.
I will say that it is worth staying in your degree purely because you've come this far , you've already put in the work to get where you are and there is no accomplishment in not finishing. Getting to the finish line is what is most important and graduating with an honours even if it is with a 2:2.
There's a common saying that says " C's get degree's too" and its about how average grades complete degree's too and you can still go on to do exceptional things , your final grade is not a depiction of the work you put in but completing your degree that is .
You have worked hard and you should be proud of yourself ! I hope this helps a little and that you get some assistance with your anxiety .
Cece
Energy Engineering
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending