The Student Room Group

Did abysmal in my A Level, unsure of where to go from here.

Hi all, went and screwed up my one chance of doing A-Levels and ended up getting DDDU when my predicted was BBBB and I needed a BBB to study law at Newcastle. Other than the crushing disappointment I feel I am totally unsure of where to proceed. I got an offer from my insurance choice to do a Foundation Year at Northumbria University, but I was wondering if it was worth it to resit? I don’t think I am built for A-Levels as my stress caused me to fall off during my last term, as well as several personal matters that occurred around this time. I did the Partners Program which I absolutely adored making me really want to study law at Newcastle but obviously I can’t anymore, not without getting BBB and wasting a year resitting. I would be wasting a year either way, but I am scared I won’t get the grades necessary at the end of the year even though I haven't even started yet. Could I please have some advice on the matter?
Original post by aquaticscourge
Hi all, went and screwed up my one chance of doing A-Levels and ended up getting DDDU when my predicted was BBBB and I needed a BBB to study law at Newcastle. Other than the crushing disappointment I feel I am totally unsure of where to proceed. I got an offer from my insurance choice to do a Foundation Year at Northumbria University, but I was wondering if it was worth it to resit? I don’t think I am built for A-Levels as my stress caused me to fall off during my last term, as well as several personal matters that occurred around this time. I did the Partners Program which I absolutely adored making me really want to study law at Newcastle but obviously I can’t anymore, not without getting BBB and wasting a year resitting. I would be wasting a year either way, but I am scared I won’t get the grades necessary at the end of the year even though I haven't even started yet. Could I please have some advice on the matter?

Hello there :wavey:

I think a foundation year at Northumbria sounds truly serving. I hear you on not being built for A-levels - they are hard and assessments conducted in this manner are not for everyone.

It sounds like you had a really stressful few months around your exams and this has caused you a significant amount of challenge. I appreciate this might have clouded your performance in exams. Are those stressors resolved now? If they are it might be worth considering re-sitting as you will be in a very different space.

If you didn't get BBB you know a foundation year at a good university will be available to you.

What do you think?

:heart:
It sounds like doing the foundation year would be a good choice. Then transfer credits over to do the Law degree at Newcastle. I did a foundation year at Durham and it was the best decision I made. Foundation tutors are very supportive and prepare you academically for the degree program. Plus, you will be integrated into the university setting which may be more preferable to you.
Hi there :grouphugs:

Firstly, well done for the results you have achieved, even if they aren't exactly what you hoped for it is still something to be proud of particularly since it sounds like there was a lot for you to overcome during the process! :h:

Ultimately, the decision has to be yours, my advice would be to do what you feel is best for you. As you say, resitting might cause you some stress and you feel like A-levels aren't really for you it might not be the better option to take, do you feel like the issues you mentioned are resolved now and that you could focus on resitting? I think it's awesome you have an offer to fall back on which sounds like a great opportunity to get stuck into this year. What do you feel like you're leaning towards more?
Ok so take a deep breath, you have results and you have an offer. Which is great and congratulations!

However, you do now need to decide what is most important to you, and if whatever most matters is important to you, then a year getting there is not a waste. Its just another year, I think you have the following choices:

1. Decide that newcastle is most important, in which case do the retakes. But only focus on 3 as 4 is a waste of energy.

2. Decide that law is what you want and that the insurance place is a good place to study. Inwhich case the foundation year is great for securing that place and an excellent preparation for the degree course. This could feel more of a step forward than resitting and risking the grades don't go up

3. Look around clearing to see what other options you have with the grades you have.

Hope this helps, and that you can begin to see a choice that you like.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
A-Levels (and exams in general) are a pretty abysmal way to measure talent and potential. An exam only demonstrates your ability to sit that particular exam. And not everyone is built for exams.

If you're passionate about law then the foundation year is a really excellent way to get on with it. Resitting your A-Levels may just put your under more stress and pressure for another year. I think Northumbria's given you a good opportunity here to take the next step in your life.
I'd say go with the insurance offer, it sounds like you sent a good UCAS application for Northumbria to give you that offer.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Medieval1984
It sounds like doing the foundation year would be a good choice. Then transfer credits over to do the Law degree at Newcastle.

Hello,
Could you please elaborate on this? I was unaware such a transfer system was available, its apparently done with “credits?”. I have researched very little on this topic, so any further explanation on this transferring system would be greatly appreciated. I also thank everyone for assisting me with their own advice! Im so grateful for your feedback.
Hello,
Could you please elaborate on this? I was unaware such a transfer system was available, its apparently done with “credits?”. I have researched very little on this topic, so any further explanation on this transferring system would be greatly appreciated. I also thank everyone for assisting me with their own advice! Im so grateful for your feedback.

I don't think this is widely possible. A foundation year does not give a stand alone qualification and so is not readily transferable. I think you would have to contact universities individually to see if they would consider accepting you.
Therefore I would recommend that you are happy with the degree course is continues onto.
Reply 9
Don't do a foundation year at Northumbria with the expectation that you will be able to transfer to Newcastle uni after that one year as that is not a certain route in fact it's unusual. Foundation years are designed for students to transfer onto the degree course at the same uni after the extra year.

You say you're not really built for A levels so I don't think resits are the best idea for you. Probably better to take the offer you have for a foundation year at Northumbria with a view to getting your degree from Northumbria.
Hello,

Basically by completing your foundation year, this means you have the ‘level’ requirements to apply for a full degree programme. Some foundation courses vary - mine was a full 4 year degree with foundation, rather than a separate foundation degree programme. If I passed all modules with 60% I moved onto the degree programme. A non-integrated foundation degree can be used for a degree course at another university - a foundation course I believe is worth 120 credits at year 0. Some students on my course ended up leaving Durham and going to KCL.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 11

I’m in the same boat as well I’ve decided to do the foundation course too se your not alone !! I spoke with a lovely lady on the phone about it and she said it’s sets you up nicely for your degree next year at Northumbria. I was reallly worried about being alone but she said I wouldn’t be which calmed my nerves abit cos of coruse unfortunately my exams didn’t go as well as I thought like the grade boundaries were disgusting
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 12

Im in the same boat. I was sick for 2 of my exams and decided to just opt for the foundation year at Northumbria. If you really wanted to there is nothing stopping you from re-doing them aswell as the foundation year which i probably will be doing.
Reply 13
Hello,

Hi, I did exactly this last week. I got a DCC and ended up going to University of Essex. I did amazing in my first year and now transferred the credits (marks/qualifications you get in your first year) to SOAS (Since they taught similar modules in their first year). I guess one advantage you have is that you must transfer after you finish your first year in a law degree. and since you're a foundation year student you will have upto 2 years to decide and research the uni you wanna transfer to.

Point is, not the end of the world you still have options :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending