The Student Room Group

Which university is great for mature students?

Hi!
I'm new to TSR and I would love to ask which university is welcoming and accepting of mature students? I have been watching mature student vlogs on you tube, it's great to see people finding the courage to return to study at university and fulfilling thier ambitions. I read on the news about much older people graduating so it shows it is possible to complete a degree amongst the hustle and bustle of university life as an older undergraduate. Please feel free to comment with your experiences, many thanks!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Which course? Are you able to move to any part of the country or restricted to a specific geography?
Original post by ajj2000
Which course? Are you able to move to any part of the country or restricted to a specific geography?

No, I'm not restricted. I'm looking to do Bsc Geography.
Reply 3
Original post by StudySakura
No, I'm not restricted. I'm looking to do Bsc Geography.

Sounds fantastic! You have loads of options - including the OU if distance learning appeals.

If you are in London or wish to be Birkbeck can be worth checking out as most of the students are working in the daytime and are a little older.

I think Lancaster University had some interesting support for mature students in the past and may well still have. Perhaps @Lancaster Student Ambassador could post a link?
Original post by ajj2000
Sounds fantastic! You have loads of options - including the OU if distance learning appeals.

If you are in London or wish to be Birkbeck can be worth checking out as most of the students are working in the daytime and are a little older.

I think Lancaster University had some interesting support for mature students in the past and may well still have. Perhaps @Lancaster Student Ambassador could post a link?

I've done an OU short course already and though I enjoyed it, I prefer to work in a class with teachers and have some interaction with people rather than studying at home feeling alone. Going to university will help me with team building and collaboration skills and I miss the hustle and bustle of academic life. I will have a look at Lancaster University website - its quite far from me ( I live further south of England ) but I'll take a look anyway. I'm not keen on London as I wanted to be away from major cities. Thanks for your reply!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by username6740857
Hi!
I'm new to TSR and I would love to ask which university is welcoming and accepting of mature students? I have been watching mature student vlogs on you tube, it's great to see people finding the courage to return to study at university and fulfilling thier ambitions. I read on the news about much older people graduating so it shows it is possible to complete a degree amongst the hustle and bustle of university life as an older undergraduate. Please feel free to comment with your experiences, many thanks!

Hi,

Although I cant recommend a specific university, I am a mature student and wanted to wish you good luck!.
Don't let being a little older put you off, I am in my last year now and have had a great time.

It is a little harder as you need to be quite organised, trying to juggle everything but it is more than manageable.
If you can, I would recommend trying to go to a smaller university, you will get a lot more help and support, I have found this invaluable. I have been told by students from some larger universities that they have had to wait around 6 weeks for help with an assignment, due to the large cohorts.

I would defo recommend going to the open days of any universities you are interested in, that way you can get a feel for the university and get to speak to the lecturers and students.

Happy to help if you have any other questions about being a mature student.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending