The Student Room Group

Do I need to be good at math to get in either real estate or trading

Yes or no & how
Original post by Brianstudy01
Yes or no & how

Trading, yes. Real estate = depends what kind of role you're thinking of, some require good quant skills, equally many of the real estate professionals I've met are some of the least mathematically gifted finance professionals I've ever met.

But a lot of this depends on what you mean by 'good at maths'. By this I'm generally assuming you're meaning doing some sort of quantitative undergraduate degree.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BenRyan99
Trading, yes. Real estate = depends what kind of role you're thinking of, some require good quant skills, equally many of the real estate professionals I've met are some of the least mathematically gifted finance professionals I've ever met.

But a lot of this depends on what you mean by 'good at maths'. By this I'm generally assuming you're meaning doing some sort of quantitative undergraduate degree.

Like what I hate maths
Like what I hate maths

What? 😅
Reply 4
What? 😅

I said I don’t like maths so what should do
I said I don’t like maths so what should do

Ah, this is why using commas is helpful...

What you should do is not rely on someone on a student forum to tell you what you should do with your life.

TSR works best when someone asks something like "I want to study x, what are the pros and cons of y course or z course?". We can't tell you what to do as a career, we don't know you, what you like, what you dislike (other than maths haha), what stage of life you're in, etc.

Regardless, you generally need to at least an undergraduate degree in a STEM subject from a top top university to become a professional trader, so it doesn't sound like that's going to be a good fit if you don't like maths, though I'm sure you can do some retail trading on the side. Real estate is a whole industry so difficult to say whether it would be a good fit, especially given I know basically nothing about you, but it's certainly a lot less mathematical.
Reply 6
Ah, this is why using commas is helpful...

What you should do is not rely on someone on a student forum to tell you what you should do with your life.

TSR works best when someone asks something like "I want to study x, what are the pros and cons of y course or z course?". We can't tell you what to do as a career, we don't know you, what you like, what you dislike (other than maths haha), what stage of life you're in, etc.

Regardless, you generally need to at least an undergraduate degree in a STEM subject from a top top university to become a professional trader, so it doesn't sound like that's going to be a good fit if you don't like maths, though I'm sure you can do some retail trading on the side. Real estate is a whole industry so difficult to say whether it would be a good fit, especially given I know basically nothing about you, but it's certainly a lot less mathematical.

So your basically saying trading is not for a person that hate maths and real estate is better from what said
So your basically saying trading is not for a person that hate maths and real estate is better from what said

More or less yes
Reply 8
Yes or no & how
No, it's not a strict requirement. While basic math skills are helpful for calculations in both real estate business and trading, success depends more on factors like market knowledge and strategic thinking. Advanced math isn't necessary for either field.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 9
You don't necessarily need to be a math whiz to excel in either real estate or trading, but having a basic understanding of math can certainly be beneficial. In real estate, you might need to calculate property values, mortgage payments, or rental yields, which requires some numerical proficiency. Similarly, trading involves analyzing financial data and making decisions based on market trends, so a grasp of mathematical concepts like percentages and probabilities can be advantageous. However, many successful professionals in both fields rely more on critical thinking, strategic decision-making, and market knowledge than advanced math skills. So while math can be helpful, it's not necessarily a make-or-break factor for success.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending