The Student Room Group

Please give some feedback on this cv!!! Be honest. Any and all criticism is welcome

PROFESSIONAL PROFILE

I am a focused, detail oriented and organised young person who just finished their GCSEs. I have a variety of hobbies and complimentary retail and customer service abilities from previous work experience opportunities. I work well both independently and in a team and am keen on good time management and being of service in the community. I’m seeking a responsible part time position as a pharmacy assistant.

CAREER SUMMARY

September 2022

Customer service and assisting the library manager
| Customer service and retail | library assistant

Activities:
.Typing pricing lists
.On loading books from a database and withdrawing then as well as logging in as a librarian
.Recommending books to students and pointing them towards different sections in the library
.Designing labels, photocopying, labelling and issuing books

Organised fundraiser for children in need| Bake sale
.Organisation
. Leadership
. Planning

Volunteering
Completed emergency first aid training and developed my communication skills dealing with individuals in need of medical assistance in busy public event settings.

EDUCATION
Predicted grades: English language (7), English literature (6), Mathematics (5), History (8) Science (5-5), Art (6), Geography (6), Child development (6)

KEY SKILLS

.Excellent written and verbal communication skills

.Good computer and IT skills

.Communication skills

.Customer service

.Excellent organisational skills

.Attention to detail

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS

.Reading most genres of books
.Writing poetry and stories
.Going to the gym
.Painting
.Baking
.Participating in sports teams such as dance and dodgeball
. Was on the school council
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Ameliabrooksyyyy
PROFESSIONAL PROFILE

I am a focused, detail oriented and organised young person who just finished their GCSEs. I have a variety of hobbies and complimentary retail and customer service abilities from previous work experience opportunities. I work well both independently and in a team and am keen on good time management and being of service in the community. I’m seeking a responsible part time position as a pharmacy assistant.

CAREER SUMMARY

September 2022

Customer service and assisting the library manager
John hanson community school | Customer service and retail | library assistant

Activities:
.Typing pricing lists
.On loading books from a database and withdrawing then as well as logging in as a librarian
.Recommending books to students and pointing them towards different sections in the library
.Designing labels, photocopying, labelling and issuing books

Organised fundraiser for children in need| Bake sale
.Organisation
. Leadership
. Planning

Volunteering
Completed emergency first aid training and developed my communication skills dealing with individuals in need of medical assistance in busy public event settings.

EDUCATION
Predicted grades: English language (7), English literature (6), Mathematics (5), History (8) Science (5-5), Art (6), Geography (6), Child development (6)

KEY SKILLS

.Excellent written and verbal communication skills

.Good computer and IT skills

.Communication skills

.Customer service

.Excellent organisational skills

.Attention to detail

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS

.Reading most genres of books
.Writing poetry and stories
.Going to the gym
.Painting
.Baking
.Participating in sports teams such as dance and dodgeball
. Was on the school council

Hi there!

This is a well written CV. I've only noticed one spelling error where you've written "On loading books from a database and withdrawing then as well as logging in as a librarian" - I hope I'm correct in thinking you intended to write 'them' rather than 'then'.

There is a Grammatical error where you wrote "John hanson community school"- As it is a proper noun for the school, each word should have capital letters at the beginning of them I believe.

I think that when you write your career history, it should clearly show the job title, place of work and dates of working at the top rather than writing an example of the skills you used. This just helps with clarity so that the employer can easily navigate your CV.

With regards to the careers section, you appear to have a good amount of experience so far through the number of things you listed which a company would like. However I think you could perhaps look at choosing skills which are transferable which you can relate to the job you are applying to. Using dynamic verbs can help sell yourself and your skills also.

For example, you could try to upgrade what you have written about your role to make you sound even better:
-Rather than "pointing them towards different sections in the library", you could say that you welcomed students into the library and directed them to their destinations.
-"Typing pricing lists", could be turned into: accurately transcribing currency values and handling interlibrary loans.
- Maintaining an accurate and complete physical and digital library catalogue.

I also think that you would benefit from adding more to your section about the bake sale. How many people were you leading? Did you maintain a sanitary environment? What did you organise? Did you actively support a cause by producing a £___ profit? Were you responsible for contacting other volunteers and organising the selection of baked goods to provide a welcoming and supportive environment? Anyone can say that they have leadership skills, but if you add more detail by explaining exactly what you had to manage, then this proves to the employer how you have demonstrated being a good leader.

I also think that for the voluntary section, it would be helpful if you included the official title of the first aid training you received and even which exercises you were trained in- particularly as this relates most to the profession you mention wanting to go into.

In the skills section, perhaps you could be more specific with what areas of IT you are well versed in. Do you have excellent understanding of Excel? Also, this is the tiniest thing to mention but you've gone from Excellent written and verbal skills to just good IT skills. Obviously you don't want to use the same adjective over and over, but good doesn't sound as amazing as excellent, so perhaps you could pick a different but still awesome adjective to describe those IT skills also. For example: exemplary, versatile, notable, exceptional, outstanding.

For hobbies and interests, instead of saying "going to the gym", you could say that you have a passion for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Also for this section, I would consider just including interests which are relevant for the job- such as ones which show communication/teamwork skills or organisational skills just to keep it precise.

Overall, the CV does have a lot of potential and it just comes down to how you word things and sell yourself. Thank you so much for sharing and I hope that some of this advice helped. Good luck with future applications, interviews and jobs! I hope everything goes well for you. :smile:

Rachel- YSJ student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending