The Student Room Group

how long does it take to forget a person

Hi guys,

I've got a question- if you've been in a relationship with someone for 3-4 years and you loved and really cared for them, is it easy to forget about them and move on?

I've heard that its different for men and women, and that for women it's usually very hard at the beginning however for men, they act like they're fine and they move on to someone new very quickly, however it takes a long while before they actually accept that they have lost the person.
Is that true?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi guys,

I've got a question- if you've been in a relationship with someone for 3-4 years and you loved and really cared for them, is it easy to forget about them and move on?

I've heard that its different for men and women, and that for women it's usually very hard at the beginning however for men, they act like they're fine and they move on to someone new very quickly, however it takes a long while before they actually accept that they have lost the person.
Is that true?

It’s not different for men and women for both it yards it depends how fast you can accept reality that once they’ve left you and are gone they are gone for good. Different people take short or long time to heal because getting a grip of it is hard to accept some become sad and upset others accept it. Although once moving onto someone quickly things they’d do with their ex recalls memories, memories that will eventually hurt them. So no it’s not true replicating the same event at the same place can remind you of that person it depends on how fast you accept it.
Reply 2
You can't physically forget someone per se but in time you don't feel the same emotions when thinking about them. Some ways of easing your way through a break-up is to pick up some new hobbies. Maybe start taking a class at your local gym? Sign up to a tennis/badminton/etc group in your local park? Start meeting new people even if you don't want anything romantic. Most times breakups are hard to overcome because you forget how to be yourself and get too used to being a half of something. As cliche as it sounds, time does tend to heal things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending