The Student Room Group

regretting something I put in my personal statement...

I've applied for an English and Drama course at manchester, leeds etc.

In my personal statement i mentioned being a performing drag queen and played on the angle of self-expression and working theatre etc. in hindsight though I'm nervous this might work against me if I get a homophobic / transphobic admissions tutor assessing my application. I know there's nothing I can do now but im nervous as hell it could backfire.
Original post by arunas.callie
I've applied for an English and Drama course at manchester, leeds etc.

In my personal statement i mentioned being a performing drag queen and played on the angle of self-expression and working theatre etc. in hindsight though I'm nervous this might work against me if I get a homophobic / transphobic admissions tutor assessing my application. I know there's nothing I can do now but im nervous as hell it could backfire.

Seems relevant for performing arts. The likleyhood of someone who was homophobic or transhobic wanting to work in that subject area is a lot lower than others as well.

Statements are scored against a fixed criteria. Tutors can't just reject someone because of a personal dislike. Otherwise I'd spend all day rejecting people who forgot to swap out the incorrect uni name, (I work in postgrad where you write a specific statement for each app).
Original post by Admit-One
Seems relevant for performing arts. The likleyhood of someone who was homophobic or transhobic wanting to work in that subject area is a lot lower than others as well.

Statements are scored against a fixed criteria. Tutors can't just reject someone because of a personal dislike. Otherwise I'd spend all day rejecting people who forgot to swap out the incorrect uni name, (I work in postgrad where you write a specific statement for each app).

Oh go on, do it just for fun one day!!! 😆
Original post by ageshallnot
Oh go on, do it just for fun one day!!! 😆

Haha, volume of offers down the toilet for a day :wink:
Haha, volume of offers down the toilet for a day :wink:

Write back saying "Your application to University X has been successful". Unfortunately, you're writing from University Y! 😃
Original post by ageshallnot
Write back saying "Your application to University X has been successful". Unfortunately, you're writing from University Y! 😃

Haha, I've replied to emails clarifying whether they meant to contact my uni or the on e they mentioned :smile:
Haha, I've replied to emails clarifying whether they meant to contact my uni or the on e they mentioned :smile:

You're way too nice! 😆

your application is highly likely to be reviewed by someone who streetmarched for your rights to be you 🙂
And performing arts was the first part of society pretty much where people felt comfortable being themselves.
However, if a uni is bigoted - you aren't trying to get a night in a hotel, you are looking to get three years of great experience, so you might as well be yourself and swerve the bigots! Very best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending