The Student Room Group

work experience

I am currently in year 12 and was thinking of doing a virtual experience, is it worth it, to put on my CV and personal statement?
Original post by Mtisboss
I am currently in year 12 and was thinking of doing a virtual experience, is it worth it, to put on my CV and personal statement?

I did talk about my online work experience in my personal statement, but that was during the covid times in which it was either online work experience or none at all.

In personal statements, you shouldn't really list things you've done - you should only mention them if they're relevant and if you learnt something useful about it. I did a few online work experiences, for example, but I only mentioned and talked about what I learnt for only one of them.

In CVs, it depends on what you're applying. You tailor your CV to the particular job you're applying. If it is relevant to whatever it is you're applying, sure, include it
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi @Mtisboss,
Yes! But make sure you link it back to why you would like to study your course, so maybe link it to particular skills you learnt ect.
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
where do you even find work experience I'm a yr 12 and I've been told to search dome accounting or business-related work experience but I honestly don't find anything
Reply 4

It depends on what you want to study and what your work experience is in. If you've done virtual work experience in finance and want to study economics, as long as you can make the correlation between the two, it should be no problem. If you were to do virtual work experience in medicine and are applying to study PPE, this is not relevant to your subject, so do not mention it. As long as the work experience is based in something you want to study or you can gain transferable skills from, you should be fine.
Hi there 👋,

First of all well done on taking the initiative and thinking of doing some work experience!
Your Personal Statement and CV are where you need to sell yourself, and all of the fabulous things you have done in aid of getting your place at a job, university, and/or apprenticeship. However, it is important to bear in mind, that you are limited to how many characters you can use in your statement, and it is recommended that you only use up to 1 side of an A4 piece of paper on a CV. Considering, this if you have done other successful opportunities such as placements, work experience, part-time jobs, etc that are more relevant to what you are applying for then consider using this first before putting virtual experience in there. The virtual experience is a good way to learn and prove you are eager to learn about that topic, so don't discount it as being important, but I would suggest prioritizing more face-to-face opportunities first.

Feel free to take a look at our blog on 'the perfect personal statement' at: https://wrexham.ac.uk/blog/posts/perfect-personal statement/#:~:text=The%20basic%20purpose%20of%20the,you%20actually%20want%20to%20do!

Good luck, and I hoped this helps!
Hannah - 1st Year Mental Health Nursing Student
WrexhamUniReps
Reply 6
Original post by regsmore_85
where do you even find work experience I'm a yr 12 and I've been told to search dome accounting or business-related work experience but I honestly don't find anything

A lot of programmes run, is you still haven’t found one yet, it is going to be hard, but definitely type in (subject of interest) work experience 2024, some applications should come up.

if you're struggling to find in person work experience online is still a good choice and you can use it but if you can find an actual placement it is better but a lot of people do struggle to get actual work experience now because of like health and safety and stuff so companies are now less likely to take a work experience so yes online is still a good option and definitely better than none

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending