The Student Room Group

Economics Personal Statement

How much work experience/supercurriculars will I need to mention in my personal statement? I’m in Y12 and struggling to find opportunities that aren’t for people from low income backgrounds or are just for economics and finance in general. I worry I won’t have enough to write on my personal statement and I’m aiming for top unis such as oxbridge. Can you recommend any supercurriculars ? And how many should I aim for? Are they that important in the application process
Original post by lili__1
How much work experience/supercurriculars will I need to mention in my personal statement? I’m in Y12 and struggling to find opportunities that aren’t for people from low income backgrounds or are just for economics and finance in general. I worry I won’t have enough to write on my personal statement and I’m aiming for top unis such as oxbridge. Can you recommend any supercurriculars ? And how many should I aim for? Are they that important in the application process

I've submitted my application and I've not mentioned any work experience in my personal statement. I talked about things like essay competitions and my EPQ (which was related to economics). I don't think uni's are too bothered about work experience since it's always really expensive or for undergrads anyway.
I'd recommend entering a few essay competitions and reading economics books. Try not to read the most obvious ones because you want your application to stand out.
Reply 2
Original post by srichandmyneni
I've submitted my application and I've not mentioned any work experience in my personal statement. I talked about things like essay competitions and my EPQ (which was related to economics). I don't think uni's are too bothered about work experience since it's always really expensive or for undergrads anyway.
I'd recommend entering a few essay competitions and reading economics books. Try not to read the most obvious ones because you want your application to stand out.

Thank you!! Do you have any interesting book recommendations? Also would you advise avoiding the ones recommended on university websites because everyone is reading them? And also, where do I find essay competitions ?
Original post by lili__1
Thank you!! Do you have any interesting book recommendations? Also would you advise avoiding the ones recommended on university websites because everyone is reading them? And also, where do I find essay competitions ?

For books, look up the topic you are interested in and then find books about said topic. I think it'd be best for you to find something you're interested in since you'll have to demonstrate it in your PS. Tbh, I only read one book and then talked about other TED talks and articles.
For essay competitions, enter the Young Economist of the Year and maybe one more. There's another competition called the John Locke competition which I didn't enter but I know some people who did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending