The Student Room Group

What do I need to write in my personal statement that Russel groups unis look for?

Hi, I'm looking to apply for a geography related course either Geography BA or global sustainable Development. I volunteer at a charity shop and frequently are involved with things around my school, I have also completed work experience. Is this really necessary to write in personal statement as I really want to get to a Russell Group Uni.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by simcityy
Hi, I'm looking to apply for a geography related course either Geography BA or global sustainable Development. I volunteer at a charity shop and frequently are involved with things around my school, I have also completed work experience. Is this really necessary to write in personal statement as I really want to get to a Russell Group Uni.
Hi @simcityy
I'm in my 3rd year studying geography at Lancaster. I think its important to include any work experience you have done, but make sure to link it back to what skills it has taught you that you can apply to your geography degree eg. teamwork, time management. I'd say its also important to display your passion for the subject, so maybe talk about a particular aspect your enjoyed, something you read or a fieldtrip ect.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by simcityy

Hi there!

I would say as well that also remember to talk about how your experiences link to specific academic skills. It's important to know for universities that you have the capacity to do all the academic stuff. You can find the types of academic skills used in the courses by looking course descriptions. This might be super helpful if, for example, Geography BA assesses you in a way that you don't typically do in other subjects, such as a specific type of project work.

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
In my experience with Geography PSs - they generally aren’t heavily weighted….BUT there’s also a pretty common mistake that a significant number of applicants fall into.

Geography courses are hugely diverse in terms of content. It’s vital to properly research the module topics and options available at each of your choices. Applying to a course that doesn’t include any glaciology with a PS banging on about glaciers, or a course that includes a compulsory physical content with a human geography centred PS is telling the admissions staff that you either haven’t done your research, or you have but you aren’t actually interested in their course.

Be thorough and look at the modules or even better the research interests of the staff in the department and make sure that your chosen courses match your academic interests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending