The Student Room Group

Help, my personal statement gets flagged as AI-written

I am a non-native English speaker, and have run multiple personal statements that I wrote through multiple AI detectors, such as winston.ai or gptzero, and my PS's keep getting flagged as 50% or more AI-written! The reason I went through this process is because one of my friends who reviewed the personal statements for me said it sounded very "chatGPT-y", and they are a writer so I decided to check as they might have been right. I have not used AI to write my statements for me, so I am worried I will have to write a completely new statement, as I am afraid of being falsely flagged by UCAS. The tools that I used to check my statement said my burstiness/perplexity was low, which is likely what flagged my statement. Is this normal or do I really just write like a bot? I have written it twice now, with completely different structures over the last month or two.
Reply 1
That is indeed rather extraordinary, if you genuinely haven't then the truth will come to light and it could potentially be just false flags. If you appeal and if they interact with you, then maybe they'll realise that you haven't used AI at all.
Reply 2
Try re-phrasing it and running it again to see if it improves.
Original post by florentia30
I am a non-native English speaker, and have run multiple personal statements that I wrote through multiple AI detectors, such as winston.ai or gptzero, and my PS's keep getting flagged as 50% or more AI-written! The reason I went through this process is because one of my friends who reviewed the personal statements for me said it sounded very "chatGPT-y", and they are a writer so I decided to check as they might have been right. I have not used AI to write my statements for me, so I am worried I will have to write a completely new statement, as I am afraid of being falsely flagged by UCAS. The tools that I used to check my statement said my burstiness/perplexity was low, which is likely what flagged my statement. Is this normal or do I really just write like a bot? I have written it twice now, with completely different structures over the last month or two.

Hi,

That sounds very frustrating. I would say, as others above have suggested, try to re-write it. One thing that may make your writing seem more human-like could be including more linking/transition phrases in between sentences (e.g. "similarly", "however", "in addition to this" etc.). You could also try to be more descriptive in your writing rather than using simple statements and also adding in more punctuation to improve the flow.

Otherwise, I'm sure they will realise it wasn't AI-written if you could contact them.

Hope this helps and hopefully it gets sorted!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending