The Student Room Group

Labour plans to add 20% VAT to Private School fees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttly
I am puzzled what the 'Daily mail' has to do with my comments any more than 'Guardian readers'? Re crime - We have had these debates before, arguing whether crime levels go up or down. It all depends on how clever the police number accounting is. How many people now don't even bother to report anything to the police because they have given up on their response? Try telling your crime reduction stats to murder and knife crime victims in London? If you take a walk into any local council estate you will soon find your answer. The biggest volume crime is fraud (internet and phone based) drug dealing and theft.

I think the words needed in your post are 'SOME FAMILIES' are woefully incapable of cooking food from raw ingredients but that could extend to any family, not just those with little income. What is more common is that certain families have a higher dispensation to be chaotic, unruly and lawless in lifestyle, there is even less motivation or ideas of how to cook. This has a far greater effect on young people who merely copy their parent's behaviour. Ask any person which is the lawless household on their street and they will readily point them out.

All Government parties are as bad as each other, and there is little difference that can now be seen between them. Mainly due to reckless spending and a lack of public tax payers money being available.

Keep school kids in at lunchtime for vegetarian soups and wholemeal bread. That doesn't cost the earth.

#Hotpud
You only have to go into a typical town centre and look around to see people hobbling, obese, looking generally haggard or stooped over to see that we are pretty sick nation.

Well maybe that's just the state school kids feeding on chips and lard everyday! You also get kids who can't afford to buy a pen yet turn up in the newest Nike trainers retailing well over £150 (non branded options available) That is a food and activity choice made by parents.

I agree with your points. I think personal responsibility needs to be taken by many individuals.

The point about students wearing the latest Nike trainers is very true. We do hear about how many students are struggling (which is true) but when i walk down the streets near my local state comp that meet many social mobility flags (free school meals, first in family to go to school above certain age etc.), i see many young lads with Canada Goose coats that cost hundreds of pounds or Nike/Adidas trainers that are at least £100.
Reply 241
Original post by Muttly
I am puzzled what the 'Daily mail' has to do with my comments any more than 'Guardian readers'? Re crime - We have had these debates before, arguing whether crime levels go up or down. It all depends on how clever the police number accounting is. How many people now don't even bother to report anything to the police because they have given up on their response? Try telling your crime reduction stats to murder and knife crime victims in London? If you take a walk into any local council estate you will soon find your answer. The biggest volume crime is fraud (internet and phone based) drug dealing and theft.

I think the words needed in your post are 'SOME FAMILIES' are woefully incapable of cooking food from raw ingredients but that could extend to any family, not just those with little income. What is more common is that certain families have a higher dispensation to be chaotic, unruly and lawless in lifestyle, there is even less motivation or ideas of how to cook. This has a far greater effect on young people who merely copy their parent's behaviour. Ask any person which is the lawless household on their street and they will readily point them out.

All Government parties are as bad as each other, and there is little difference that can now be seen between them. Mainly due to reckless spending and a lack of public tax payers money being available.

Keep school kids in at lunchtime for vegetarian soups and wholemeal bread. That doesn't cost the earth.

#Hotpud
You only have to go into a typical town centre and look around to see people hobbling, obese, looking generally haggard or stooped over to see that we are pretty sick nation.

Well maybe that's just the state school kids feeding on chips and lard everyday! You also get kids who can't afford to buy a pen yet turn up in the newest Nike trainers retailing well over £150 (non branded options available) That is a food and activity choice made by parents.

"I am puzzled what the 'Daily mail' has to do with my comments"
The Daily Mail have a habit vilifying groups of people to create rage in their readership. Recent examples are:

Broken Britain - streets no go areas full of gangs waiting to murder you. No evidence to back this up.

Asylum seekers / immigrants coming here taking our jobs and women [sic] - evidence shows otherwise

Benefit cheat and scroungers generally - believe it or not, some people who live on council estates and who bought their council house are quite wealthy and can afford luxuries often spoken about in the Daily Fail

Lastly, the Mail hate women - women in the wrong are absolutely destroyed from appearance to choice of partner. And yet their readership are women.

Trans people - "We are told," the Mail says "that drinking coffee / saying the word 'blue' / looking north is transphobic" etc etc. Rubbish. Completely made up. But how many times have you or your family shared that sort of tail with your friends and then been discussed at the though?

If you ask what the Guardian is about, it is about reporting facts and quality reporting and yes, with a slight lean towards social justice and fairness in society. The Mail is simply about generating hatred and rage against pretty much everyone.

As for chips and gravy. If you have to feed the family on £40 a week, that is pretty much all you can afford. But as a point of information, schools don't serve chips every day any more. It is no longer permitted. Equally do you not think it a sad state of affairs that many schools now have breakfast clubs for children who don't have breakfast at home and foodbanks to support families who can't afford to put food on the table? Is that not absolutely disgusting? 13 years ago, there was no such thing as a food bank. Have you noticed the beggars at traffic lights these days? It is just like in India where the wealthy enjoy a very comfortable life and not to worry about those who have nothing.
(edited 2 months ago)
I hope the votes yesterday and accusations against the Labour Party and the Speaker don't affect the polls. We need a Labour Government.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending