The Student Room Group

Latymer upper scrapping gcse

Hi,
I got admission in Latymer Upper but worried that they are scrapping GCSE..
Will that affect uni admissions
Also has any bursary applicant here had funding reduced from this school please?
Original post by Uwush
Hi,
I got admission in Latymer Upper but worried that they are scrapping GCSE..
Will that affect uni admissions
Also has any bursary applicant here had funding reduced from this school please?

It's unclear how Latymer Upper School's decision will impact university admissions. For the majority of degree courses, universities require a minimum GCSE grade in Maths and English - and the school is wisely choosing to retain these GCSEs. So in the majority of cases, it will have no impact. However, sometimes universities also mandate a minimum of five GCSEs, or a particular GCSE grade in a relevant science subject.

I suspect that the school are hoping to force universities to modify their requirements to allow for the sort of custom qualifications that students from Latymer Upper School and Bedales School will be have attained. It would seem unlikely that universities would dig their heels in a refuse to acknowledge these as being equivalent - but they might. The problem that universities will have is if they do choose to accept them as being equivalent, then it creates a very confusing qualification landscape for them as once you have dozens or perhaps hundreds on independent schools delivering their own custom qualifications, universities won't really be in a position to evaluate them against each other. For example, a poor performing independent school could easily choose to issue their own sub-standard qualifications to disguise the limited ability of their pupils.
Reply 2
True!
I am confused between Upton court or Latymer Upper now even though LU is much better school. 2nd thing is that I am not sure if the bursery they gave will continue for 7 years especially if labour comes in power and enforce VAT. They won't have much finance and we can't afford LU without Bursery

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending