The Student Room Group

Is First/Upper Second a first class degree in uni of Wolverhampton

I am a bit confused it it counts as a first of you get 68.7% and 70% in 100 credits level 6.
Original post by Anonymous
I am a bit confused it it counts as a first of you get 68.7% and 70% in 100 credits level 6.

For a Bachelor's Degree with Honours, Wolverhampton, calculates your degree classification based upon best results from 180 credits from levels 5 and 6, where a minimum of 100 credits are at level 6.

So when you say, "68.7% and 70% in 100 credits level 6" do you mean "68.7% in 80 credits at level 5 and 70% in 100 credits level 6"?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
For a Bachelor's Degree with Honours, Wolverhampton, calculates your degree classification based upon best results from 180 credits from levels 5 and 6, where a minimum of 100 credits are at level 6.

So when you say, "68.7% and 70% in 100 credits level 6" do you mean "68.7% in 80 credits at level 5 and 70% in 100 credits level 6"?

Hi there's thank you for replying 😊
I think they count 4 of you best level 5 modules and 5 of your level 6.

My modules result are
Level 5

Level 6
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there's thank you for replying 😊
I think they count 4 of you best level 5 modules and 5 of your level 6.

My modules result are
Level 5

Level 6

Well, that's not quite what their academic regulations say.

There are actually two relevant documents, "University Academic Regulations 2023-2024 (Undergraduate 20 credits)" and "University Academic Regulations 2023-2024 (Undergraduate 30 credits)". I'm sure the "20 credits" version would apply to you, as each of your modules appear to be worth 20 credits.

Appendix B in that document says (for "Bachelor's Degree with Honours" where "Number of University of Wolverhampton credits taken" is "240 - 360":
"Percentage average based on best results from ... Minimumn of 100 credits at level 6, to include independent study/project module". (And yes, that is how they've spelled "minimum". :smile:)

So you could, if it made sense to do so, use 120 credits from level 6 and just 60 from level 5, in the calculation. However, looking at your unit scores (thank you for providing them), you'll be using 100 from level 6 and 80 from level 5 to get the best result. These give you an average, across all those modules / credits of 68.1%. That's puts in what they call "First/Upper Second boarder range 1st/2.1" (and yes, they've spelled border wrong.)

For those in the first/upper second border range, you'll get the higher award (i.e. a first) if you obtain "70% or above in at least 60 credits at Level 6". Your best 60 credits at Level 6 are all 70% or above (71, 70 and 73). So my reading of their regulations is that just would be awarded a first. Congratulations. :biggrin:

Please read the regulations yourself to ensure you agree. And even then, you'd need to await the uni's official calculation to be absolutely sure.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Well, that's not quite what their academic regulations say.

There are actually two relevant documents, "University Academic Regulations 2023-2024 (Undergraduate 20 credits)" and "University Academic Regulations 2023-2024 (Undergraduate 30 credits)". I'm sure the "20 credits" version would apply to you, as each of your modules appear to be worth 20 credits.

Appendix B in that document says (for "Bachelor's Degree with Honours" where "Number of University of Wolverhampton credits taken" is "240 - 360":
"Percentage average based on best results from ... Minimumn of 100 credits at level 6, to include independent study/project module". (And yes, that is how they've spelled "minimum". :smile:)

So you could, if it made sense to do so, use 120 credits from level 6 and just 60 from level 5, in the calculation. However, looking at your unit scores (thank you for providing them), you'll be using 100 from level 6 and 80 from level 5 to get the best result. These give you an average, across all those modules / credits of 68.1%. That's puts in what they call "First/Upper Second boarder range 1st/2.1" (and yes, they've spelled border wrong.)

For those in the first/upper second border range, you'll get the higher award (i.e. a first) if you obtain "70% or above in at least 60 credits at Level 6". Your best 60 credits at Level 6 are all 70% or above (71, 70 and 73). So my reading of their regulations is that just would be awarded a first. Congratulations. :biggrin:

Please read the regulations yourself to ensure you agree. And even then, you'd need to await the uni's official calculation to be absolutely sure.

Thank you soo much for looking into this for me 😊 I really hope I manage to get a first feel like I'm really close. True the calculation may be different I'm not too sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending