The Student Room Group

Mid 2:2 in Second Year, How much would I need for a 2:1 or a 1st?

I got a mid 2:2 in second year and I am just wondering what I need to get a 2:1 or a 1st?

Assuming that 60% is 2:1 and 70% is a 1st.

My second year is weighted 20% and my third year is weighted 80%.

This is the info on my universitys page :

If you are on a degree course on which your second year of studies (‘level 5’) contributes 20 per cent of your degree classification, then the number of qualifying credits is 140. Of these, 120 credits come from your year three studies, and 20 credits come from your overall grade for your year two studies.
To achieve an upper second you must have achieved either or both of the following:

more than 70 credits passed at an upper second standard (or higher)
a weighted mean of 9.5 or higher, with your year two performance weighted at 20 per cent and your year three performance weighted at 80 per cent.

Dissertation is 40 credits
Essay is 20 credits
Essay is 20 credits
Essay is 20 credits
Future Directions is 20 credits

What would i need in each to get a first or a 2:1?
Reply 1
idk how u guys have t so easy mine was weighted 50/50 i had to smash both years to get my first XD

aim for all 65s to get a 2.1 and high 60s and 70 to get a first
Original post by Anonymous
I got a mid 2:2 in second year and I am just wondering what I need to get a 2:1 or a 1st?

If you are on a degree course on which your second year of studies (‘level 5’) contributes 20 per cent of your degree classification, then the number of qualifying credits is 140. Of these, 120 credits come from your year three studies, and 20 credits come from your overall grade for your year two studies.
To achieve an upper second you must have achieved either or both of the following:

a weighted mean of 9.5 or higher, with your year two performance weighted at 20 per cent and your year three performance weighted at 80 per cent.

Essay is 20 credits
Essay is 20 credits
Essay is 20 credits

I'm a bit lost with "a weighted mean of 9.5 or higher" - what does it mean by this, and how is a mean of 9.5 calculated?

If you can clarify on the above, I should be able to calculate the grades that you need.

Essay is 20 credits
Essay is 20 credits
Essay is 20 credits

Hey!
Based on the information you have provided,
For a 2:1:
Dissertation (40 credits): At least 70 (A) to maximize your second-year weighted mean.
Essays (20 credits each): At least 40 (D) in each essay (minimum required to pass).
Future Directions (20 credits): At least 30 (E) to pass.
For a 1st:
Dissertation (40 credits): At least 70 (A) to maximize your second-year weighted mean.
Essays (20 credits each): At least 70 (A) in each essay to maximize your second-year weighted mean.
Future Directions (20 credits): At least 70 (A) to maximize your second-year weighted mean.

Please Keep in mind that these are just general estimates based on the information provided. The actual grading scale and calculation might be more complex at your university, so it's always a good idea to consult your university's specific regulations and speak with your academic advisor for a more accurate evaluation.

I hope this helps :smile:
Vyomika (LU Student Ambassador)
Reply 4
I'm a bit lost with "a weighted mean of 9.5 or higher" - what does it mean by this, and how is a mean of 9.5 calculated?

If you can clarify on the above, I should be able to calculate the grades that you need.

i’m not too sure what the weighted mean actually means but i think i have 56% this year how much would i need next year?
Reply 5

There are two routes by which you can achieve a given degree classification: a ‘majority’ route, and a ‘weighted mean’ route. This section describes how these two routes work, in relation to achieving an upper second (2.1) degree classification. The same principles apply to all the degree classifications. For detailed and definitive statements about how this works you should consult the quality handbook.

Of the credits you are required to pass in order to qualify for an award, a proportion are ‘qualifying credits’. These count towards your final degree classification. In order to achieve an upper second class degree classification you must either pass the majority of these credits at upper second class standard (or above), or achieve a weighted mean of these credits which is equal to or greater than 9.5, or do both. A 0-16 scale is used to calculate the weighted mean. Which credits count as ‘qualifying’ depends on whether the 2nd year contributes towards the final degree classification for your course.

This is what it says on my uni website ^
There are two routes by which you can achieve a given degree classification: a ‘majority’ route, and a ‘weighted mean’ route. This section describes how these two routes work, in relation to achieving an upper second (2.1) degree classification. The same principles apply to all the degree classifications. For detailed and definitive statements about how this works you should consult the quality handbook.

Of the credits you are required to pass in order to qualify for an award, a proportion are ‘qualifying credits’. These count towards your final degree classification. In order to achieve an upper second class degree classification you must either pass the majority of these credits at upper second class standard (or above), or achieve a weighted mean of these credits which is equal to or greater than 9.5, or do both. A 0-16 scale is used to calculate the weighted mean. Which credits count as ‘qualifying’ depends on whether the 2nd year contributes towards the final degree classification for your course.

This is what it says on my uni website ^

Yeah, means absolutely squat to me. It's probably something to do with getting enough modules (with certain credits) across the board to be above 60%. I don't know how they calculate this mean, so it will remain squat to me until you can give me a firm definition to be sure.

Ignoring the weighted mean calculation...
Final grade = weight1*grade1+weight2*grade2...
Final grade = 0.2*56 + 0.8*x

To get a 2:1...
60 = 0.2*56 + 0.8x
60 = 11.2 + 0.8x
0.8x = 48.8
x= 61% i.e. you need at least an average of 61% in your third year to get a 2:1 overall.

To geta 1st class...
70 = 11.2 + 0.8x
x = 73.5% i.e. you need at least 73.5% on average in your third year to get a 1st class.

It's more likely that you would get a 2:1 than you would a first class.
If you're not doing a quantitative degee (or something with a lot of maths), then it's harder to get a 1st class than getting a 2:1.

Just out of interest, what subject is your degree in?
Reply 7
Yeah, means absolutely squat to me. It's probably something to do with getting enough modules (with certain credits) across the board to be above 60%. I don't know how they calculate this mean, so it will remain squat to me until you can give me a firm definition to be sure.

Ignoring the weighted mean calculation...
Final grade = weight1*grade1+weight2*grade2...
Final grade = 0.2*56 + 0.8*x

To get a 2:1...
60 = 0.2*56 + 0.8x
60 = 11.2 + 0.8x
0.8x = 48.8
x= 61% i.e. you need at least an average of 61% in your third year to get a 2:1 overall.

To geta 1st class...
70 = 11.2 + 0.8x
x = 73.5% i.e. you need at least 73.5% on average in your third year to get a 1st class.

It's more likely that you would get a 2:1 than you would a first class.
If you're not doing a quantitative degee (or something with a lot of maths), then it's harder to get a 1st class than getting a 2:1.

Just out of interest, what subject is your degree in?

my degree is criminology - it is relatively easy - not jinxing anything and i am at good at the work, aced 1st year but second year i’ve had health problems which have majorly impacted my grades :/ but thank you for working out an estimate of what i need !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending