The Student Room Group

Studying MSc at a more prestigious university

I currently attend a fairly alright university, QS rank #300-#350, if I do get a high degree classification, i.e. an upper second class or a first, could I study a masters degree at high level institutions such as Oxford or St Andrews? I must also add that it doesn't rank very highly for Computer Science which is the subject I wish to pursue. Thank you for reading, any reply is appreciated.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Averagetsruser
I currently attend a fairly alright university, QS rank #300-#350, if I do get a high degree classification, i.e. an upper second class or a first, could I study a masters degree at high level institutions such as Oxford or St Andrews? I must also add that it doesn't rank very highly for Computer Science which is the subject I wish to pursue. Thank you for reading, any reply is appreciated.

Hey!

I think you'd be alright, from what I've seen/heard universities are generally more interested in you meeting their entry requirements rather than where you got the degree! Obviously, these courses at unis like Oxford will be much more competitive, so they'll probably compare more than just grades but it'll most likely be other things they consider (such as a personal statement/interest in the course etc.) rather than comparing where you went to uni! :h:

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)
Original post by University of Kent
Hey!

I think you'd be alright, from what I've seen/heard universities are generally more interested in you meeting their entry requirements rather than where you got the degree! Obviously, these courses at unis like Oxford will be much more competitive, so they'll probably compare more than just grades but it'll most likely be other things they consider (such as a personal statement/interest in the course etc.) rather than comparing where you went to uni! :h:

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)

Thank you for the response, appreciate it and good luck on your PhD studies :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending