The Student Room Group

Lawyer progression

Hi all,

I am currently in year two of a four year French degree, and have started to entertain the idea of becoming a solicitor. As far as I know, any undergraduate degree holder can now become a lawyer through sitting the SQE, but this is a very new concept to me and I would like a bit of guidance.

I’d greatly appreciate it if I could get some advice on how to work towards a career in law from the position that I’m currently in, and how to increase my employability and develop my progression.

Above all, though, I really want to know how I can increase my legal knowledge to such an extent where I can successfully sit and pass the SQE. Is it a matter of taking a conversion course? And, if so, which one?

Many thanks!
I think there are dedicated SQE prep courses. Also a lot of the old GDL courses have pivoted to be GDL courses with SQE prep build into them.

Look for relevant work experience/vacation schemes/etc in the first instance. Passing the SQE is a tick box exercise, work experience (and reflecting upon it) is not!
Original post by Abelhoward
Hi all,

I am currently in year two of a four year French degree, and have started to entertain the idea of becoming a solicitor. As far as I know, any undergraduate degree holder can now become a lawyer through sitting the SQE, but this is a very new concept to me and I would like a bit of guidance.

I’d greatly appreciate it if I could get some advice on how to work towards a career in law from the position that I’m currently in, and how to increase my employability and develop my progression.

Above all, though, I really want to know how I can increase my legal knowledge to such an extent where I can successfully sit and pass the SQE. Is it a matter of taking a conversion course? And, if so, which one?

Many thanks!

Hi @Abelhoward,

Before sitting the SQE you would need to pass a qualifying law degree which would most likely take place in the form of a law conversion course (PGDL). This is a 1 academic year course and gives you the basic knowledge of the main components of law. From this point, you would then be able to sit the SQE prep courses and the exams to begin qualifying as a solicitor.

In terms of boosting your employability, I would recommend getting as much experience as you can. Whether that is on Vacation schemes, shadowing or simply attending open court, all of these experiences will look great on your CV and, arguably more importantly, let you get a sense of the career and whether it is for you!

In terms of choosing a conversion course, there are lots of different options. If you want to get student funding, the best option for you may be an MA Law (SQE 1) which is the PGDL (qualifying law degree) component followed by a prep course for SQE 1 and the SQE 1 exam. Once you have done the SQE 1 exam and passed, then you would have to either self-study for SQE 2 and sit the exam or pay for a SQE prep course before sitting the exam.

I hope this has helped and good luck!

Sophie :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @Abelhoward,

Before sitting the SQE you would need to pass a qualifying law degree which would most likely take place in the form of a law conversion course (PGDL). This is a 1 academic year course and gives you the basic knowledge of the main components of law. From this point, you would then be able to sit the SQE prep courses and the exams to begin qualifying as a solicitor.

In terms of boosting your employability, I would recommend getting as much experience as you can. Whether that is on Vacation schemes, shadowing or simply attending open court, all of these experiences will look great on your CV and, arguably more importantly, let you get a sense of the career and whether it is for you!

In terms of choosing a conversion course, there are lots of different options. If you want to get student funding, the best option for you may be an MA Law (SQE 1) which is the PGDL (qualifying law degree) component followed by a prep course for SQE 1 and the SQE 1 exam. Once you have done the SQE 1 exam and passed, then you would have to either self-study for SQE 2 and sit the exam or pay for a SQE prep course before sitting the exam.

I hope this has helped and good luck!

Sophie :smile:

Hi Sophie,

Thank you, this was a great response. So you’re saying that MA Law has both the PGDL and SQE 1 prep in it, and that it also includes the SQE 1 test itself?

Then, if I were to take MA law, are you saying that I would still not have (in theory) enough legal knowledge to sit and pass the SQE 2?

It seems like such an expensive process with many steps which need funding! I want to find the most efficient and economical way. Though, I have read that large London firms can often pay for conversion courses and SQE exams on behalf of the trainee… is that commonplace?

Best,

Abel.
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi Sophie,

Thank you, this was a great response. So you’re saying that MA Law has both the PGDL and SQE 1 prep in it, and that it also includes the SQE 1 test itself?

Then, if I were to take MA law, are you saying that I would still not have (in theory) enough legal knowledge to sit and pass the SQE 2?

It seems like such an expensive process with many steps which need funding! I want to find the most efficient and economical way. Though, I have read that large London firms can often pay for conversion courses and SQE exams on behalf of the trainee… is that commonplace?

Best,

Abel.

Hi,

Yes, so if you do MA Law (SQE 1) this would be the prep for PGDL and SQE 1. However, you have to pay for the test for SQE 1 as it is not included in the course.

Then, in theory you would not have all the knowledge to sit SQE 2 but this is also up to you to decide whether you think you can prepare for the exam independently or not.

Unfortunately, it is a very expensive process. Most firms if they give you a training contract will pay for all your conversion and SQE but they are very competitive to get. However, it is worth giving it a try if finance is otherwise going to be an issue as it would guarantee that your costs are all covered 🙂

Hope this helps,

Sophie
Although it is no longer compulsory to do a law conversion course before an SQE course/exam, most law firms require it. During your French degree you need to do a lot of law interest work, join law society etc etc and also start applying to law firms for a sponsored TC - they recruit years ahead whilst you are doing your French degree. Ideally you will get a TC which pays for your law conversion year and then your SQE1 and 2 year and exams.
Reply 6
Hi all,

Many thanks!

Hey!

I think that what you could do is try to get a TC offer before you graduate so that you get the law firm to sponsor the PgDL and the SQE. A good tip to follow is to attend career events from your uni because these might involve discussions with trainees or senior lawyers. You could also attend law firm Open Days and insight days to develop your knowledge of a firm's practice areas and discover whether you would like to work there or not. This could also give you an insight into the firm's culture and how it would be like to work there.

If you want more tips on law firm research, I could suggest the law firm profile and research course offered by Commercial Law Academy, which includes profiles of 90+ law firms.
Reply 7
Original post by AdB09
Hey!

I think that what you could do is try to get a TC offer before you graduate so that you get the law firm to sponsor the PgDL and the SQE. A good tip to follow is to attend career events from your uni because these might involve discussions with trainees or senior lawyers. You could also attend law firm Open Days and insight days to develop your knowledge of a firm's practice areas and discover whether you would like to work there or not. This could also give you an insight into the firm's culture and how it would be like to work there.

If you want more tips on law firm research, I could suggest the law firm profile and research course offered by Commercial Law Academy, which includes profiles of 90+ law firms.

Hi!

Sponsorship and a training contract seems to be the dream situation, so I’ll continue reading into that and putting my name out there. I attended a junior lawyer talk the other day at my university, so that’s a start.

If you could provide those law firm profiles then that would be great!

Many thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending