The Student Room Group

Help me decide!!!

I am currently a second year BSc Biomedical Science student at KCL, and hoping to apply to medicine in Oct 2023. I currently hold a student placement at Johnson & Johnson for Medical Affairs. It takes place after my second year, and will last a year. This means that it will delay my medical school application to 2025, as after the placement I still need to complete the third year of biomed. I am unsure what decision to make since the placement is an amazing opportunity (and a safety net if I do not get into medicine), but I do want to be a doctor. Fortunately, I will be applying to undergraduate and graduate medicine programmes when the time comes as my family is able to finance it - so please do not mention this as a factor! Any thoughts?
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by cutelilpapiclown
I am currently a second year BSc Biomedical Science student at KCL, and hoping to apply to medicine in Oct 2023. I currently hold a student placement at Johnson & Johnson for Medical Affairs. It takes place after my second year, and will last a year. This means that it will delay my medical school application to 2025, as after the placement I still need to complete the third year of biomed. I am unsure what decision to make since the placement is an amazing opportunity (and a safety net if I do not get into medicine), but I do want to be a doctor. Fortunately, I will be applying to undergraduate and graduate medicine programmes when the time comes as my family is able to finance it - so please do not mention this as a factor! Any thoughts?

Even undergrad courses for grads tend to be more competitive, so having embarked on the Biomed route, I would finish it off as it would likely mean a better biomed career in the long term, if med did not work out.
Original post by GANFYD
Even undergrad courses for grads tend to be more competitive, so having embarked on the Biomed route, I would finish it off as it would likely mean a better biomed career in the long term, if med did not work out.

Thanks for your advice, I'm definitely looking to finish off with my degree rather than do the placement. May I ask why you said it means a better biomed career in the long term if I did simply go into my third year, as surely a placement would put me at a pedestal to other students since I have experience?
Reply 4
Thanks for your advice, I'm definitely looking to finish off with my degree rather than do the placement. May I ask why you said it means a better biomed career in the long term if I did simply go into my third year, as surely a placement would put me at a pedestal to other students since I have experience?

Yes, I meant finish it with the placement, sorry if not clear. A year is nothing in the long run, and your placement will give you valuable experience
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, I meant finish it with the placement, sorry if not clear. A year is nothing in the long run, and your placement will give you valuable experience

Thank you for your reply. I think I will be moving into my third year and applying for medicine since the placement isn't the be all or end all. After all, I don't hope to work in that sector so I do not think the placement is too relevant.
Reply 6
Thank you for your reply. I think I will be moving into my third year and applying for medicine since the placement isn't the be all or end all. After all, I don't hope to work in that sector so I do not think the placement is too relevant.

The chances of getting a place as a grad are even lower than as a school leaver (which was <20% last year), so I would base your actions around the assumption you may be working in the biomed field (or an alternative grad career) long term
Original post by GANFYD
The chances of getting a place as a grad are even lower than as a school leaver (which was <20% last year), so I would base your actions around the assumption you may be working in the biomed field (or an alternative grad career) long term

Thank you! I am hoping to apply for 2 undergrad courses, does that not boost my chances?
Reply 8
Thank you! I am hoping to apply for 2 undergrad courses, does that not boost my chances?

At many med schools, though not all, grads are cohorted with other grads for a limited number of places, meaning higher cut offs and interview scores are needed. Cut offs are generally lower than for GEM, but still above that needed for a school leaver
Original post by GANFYD
At many med schools, though not all, grads are cohorted with other grads for a limited number of places, meaning higher cut offs and interview scores are needed. Cut offs are generally lower than for GEM, but still above that needed for a school leaver

Thank you for your help. I will start prepping now, although competitive I am confident I have what it takes :smile: What do you think my chances look like if I have a UCAT score of around 2700-3000, 3 As at A-level (Bio, Chem, History), 999888866 at GCSE, and I am predicted a first in my BSc Biomedical Science at KCL? I am hoping to ramp up my experience this summer also, but I have been volunteering at a hospital for the last few months and will ask if I could have some shadowing work. As well as this, I am seeking some work as a hca, or in a nursing home. That being said, I am hoping to apply to undergrad and grad med at KCL and QM.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you for your help. I will start prepping now, although competitive I am confident I have what it takes :smile: What do you think my chances look like if I have a UCAT score of around 2700-3000, 3 As at A-level (Bio, Chem, History), 999888866 at GCSE, and I am predicted a first in my BSc Biomedical Science at KCL? I am hoping to ramp up my experience this summer also, but I have been volunteering at a hospital for the last few months and will ask if I could have some shadowing work. As well as this, I am seeking some work as a hca, or in a nursing home. That being said, I am hoping to apply to undergrad and grad med at KCL and QM.

Come back when you have your UCAT and people can give advice. There is a big difference between 2700 and 3000
Original post by GANFYD
Come back when you have your UCAT and people can give advice. There is a big difference between 2700 and 3000

Will do, many thanks for your advice.
Original post by undefined

Hi there,

I am actually applying to this exact placement role, and have just made it to the assessment centre stage. I have to prepare a presentation which Ive done, and then have an interview after this. It says the day will be 9:00-13:00, so maybe it will finish early or there will be other activities to do as well as what was told to us in the email? I was wondering how you found it/ if you have any advice :smile:
Original post by user122344
Hi there,

I am actually applying to this exact placement role, and have just made it to the assessment centre stage. I have to prepare a presentation which Ive done, and then have an interview after this. It says the day will be 9:00-13:00, so maybe it will finish early or there will be other activities to do as well as what was told to us in the email? I was wondering how you found it/ if you have any advice :smile:

Hey! My assessment day was the same. If you like, I can share a copy of my ppt. presentation where I assessed 3 research papers. The questions were fairly standard, and if you have a good grip of scientific analysis, you should be fine. I did decline my offer in pursuit of medical school so can't tell you much about the role itself.
Hey! My assessment day was the same. If you like, I can share a copy of my ppt. presentation where I assessed 3 research papers. The questions were fairly standard, and if you have a good grip of scientific analysis, you should be fine. I did decline my offer in pursuit of medical school so can't tell you much about the role itself.

Hey, this would be great, could you let me know your LinkedIn/other contact and I could ask a few questions about your experience on there?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by user122344
Hey, this would be great, could you let me know your LinkedIn/other contact and I could ask a few questions about your experience on there?

Please pm me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending