The Student Room Group

Questions: diagnostic radiography or biomedical science

Hiya,
I'm looking into doing either biomed or diagnostic radiography but I have no clue which to pick.

1) which course has better prospects
2) why do people say that vocational degrees are better?
3) Do students get paid for clinical placements during the course? (DR requires a lot of placements).
4) how math heavy are the courses?
5) salary?

Any information will be helpful! :smile:
1) Depends on what you want to do later down the line
2) Generally because you gain certain skills, but if you're set on a particular uni course go for that
3) There's both paid and unpaid placements, and it depends on what you manage to secure
4) Don't know about DR, but biomed does involve chem, which does have some math concepts, but nothing too extreme afair
5) Again, depends!
Its very common for people to do biomedicine or biochemistry, then finish their degree and realise that they don't want to work in a lab the rest of the lives. But, still wanting to work in something health related they then go and do a 2nd degree in a vocational healthcare subject. There's a few radiographers in my radiotherapy department who went that route.

You would start as a Band 5 radiographer once you qualify, check Agenda for Change website for the latest as its all in a bit of a flux with the strikes at the minute. Compared to working in a lab with biomed, I would say they're roughly similar for a newly qualified graduate, based upon my previous career working in a lab.

Placements aren't paid as a radiographer (unless you can get on an apprenticeship) but by 3rd year you can start working extra shifts on bank to get some cash.

Prospects - its what you make of it. You can stay at Band 5/6 for 30-40 years, or you can push yourself to go further. Radiography you can become a reporting radiographer, go into management, do additional qualifications to become a sonographer (very competitive), become a consultant radiographer (lots of work)....Working in a lab, again its what you make of it. One of my old lab workmates got a sideways move into supply chain, now he works for BAe and is in charge of planning the maintenance for the RAF's entire fleet of Typhoon fighter jets!

Maths - there's a bit of physics in radiography. Biomed will involve lots of chemistry. Both have elements of maths.
(edited 11 months ago)
Just to add to the info above, there is a national shortage of diagnostic radiographers so you are pretty much guaranteed a job at the end of a DR degree. The current starting salary for band 5 is £28,407 (a bit more if you work in London). As the above post has said, there are many options for career progression within the NHS, and there are opportunities outside the NHS - with private healthcare providers, imaging technology suppliers and as veterinary radiographers.

Although you don't get paid for placements during your degree, if you study at a uni in England you can apply for a training grant of £6,000 per year from the NHS Learning Support Fund. The fund also covers additional travel and accommodation exenses associated with placements. This is in addition to any student finance you may receive. Additional support is also available from NHS Wales if you choose to study there. More info here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7324327

Have you also considered therapeutic radiography and oncology? I recommend that you attend some open days this term and go and listen to the subject talks for all the subjects you are considering. My daughter had four options when she was deciding what to study, and had narrowed it down to one after a couple of open day visits.

Quick Reply

Latest