The Student Room Group

Application help

One of the criteria for contextual offer at royal holloway is if your parents haven’t been to uni. On the UCAS application, it asks whether your parents have a HE qualification such as a degree or diploma. My parents haven’t been to uni but one of them has a diploma. Since going to uni is separate from HE, I'm confused about how to mark this question on my application?
Called about it but they weren’t much help
(edited 2 months ago)
What sort of diploma does your parent have and where did they get it from?
Original post by PQ
What sort of diploma does your parent have and where did they get it from?

HND dipolma from a college
Original post by ehfuewdhskjdked
HND dipolma from a college

That’s an HE qualification then. You wouldn’t be eligible for a contextual offer based on being the first generation to receive HE.
Original post by PQ
That’s an HE qualification then. You wouldn’t be eligible for a contextual offer based on being the first generation to receive HE.

I know it’s a HE qualification, but the contextual offer criteria says if your parents haven’t been to university, and neither of my parents have been. HE is seperate from university which is why I’m confused
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
I know it’s a HE qualification, but the contextual offer criteria says if your parents haven’t been to university, and neither of my parents have been. HE is seperate from university which is why I’m confused

The correct thing to do is answer the question on the UCAS form truthfully.

I think the Holloway guidance page on contextual offers probably contains an error, they won't be able to tell from the information UCAS sends them whether your parents got a HE qualification from a university or a polytechnic or a college of technology or wherever else.
There's an admissions enquiry form on RHUL's website you can fill in.
I don't want to give them all my contact details but if you want to ask them how they are planning to make contextual offers based on whether an applicants parents attended a university when the information collected by UCAS is whether an applicants parents earned a HE qualification, that'd be a way to do it.
I can understand the confusion as UCAS is asking a different question then RH’s requirements.

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/schools-and-colleges/widening-access/contextual-offers

Ultimately only RH can tell you how they expect you to notify them about your eligibility, as you can’t make a false declaration on the application form.
One of the criteria for contextual offer at royal holloway is if your parents haven’t been to uni. On the UCAS application, it asks whether your parents have a HE qualification such as a degree or diploma. My parents haven’t been to uni but one of them has a diploma. Since going to uni is separate from HE, I'm confused about how to mark this question on my application?
Called about it but they weren’t much help

Hi there,

We're happy to hear you'd like to study with us, but very sorry to hear you haven't received enough information about this. The best thing to do would be to contact our Admissions team directly here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/applicationquery and they will respond to you as soon as possible.

We hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Royal Holloway, University of London Rep
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending