The Student Room Group

How can I provide predicted grades with no tutor?

I have just applied to uni a few days ago but this year I am studying from home and resitting my a levels privately. I don’t have a tutor since I have been taught all the content already and will just be revising it (the reason why I am resitting is because of some personal issues during my exams not necessarily a lack of ability) but now one of the unis I have applied to is asking for predicted grades off of my tutor, I assumed that since I have already sat my a levels once before they would be enough but obviously not and now I have no idea what to do they have only given me a week to sort this out
Reply 1
Original post by jwalker109685
I have just applied to uni a few days ago but this year I am studying from home and resitting my a levels privately. I don’t have a tutor since I have been taught all the content already and will just be revising it (the reason why I am resitting is because of some personal issues during my exams not necessarily a lack of ability) but now one of the unis I have applied to is asking for predicted grades off of my tutor, I assumed that since I have already sat my a levels once before they would be enough but obviously not and now I have no idea what to do they have only given me a week to sort this out

Are you still in contact with your old sixth form?
I am resitting Maths and I was told mine has a system whereby subjects resit use the same predicted grade from last year. I believe yours may have some similar system which they can give for your application. Plus, they will just give general advice from their if this isn't the case.
(edited 4 months ago)

Most universities understand that resit candidates often don't have new predicted grades for exactly the same reason as you - they're studying on their own. These universities can use your previous results, and the knowledge that you're spending another year studying, to make a reasonable prediction themselves. (For example, they may assume that you'll go up by one grade in each subject.)

If there anything in your application which would have led this university to assume that you're using a tutor? I think your only option is to respond by saying that you're studying independently without a tutor, and are therefore not in a position to provide a formal prediction. You could provide your own prediction if you like, but I'm not sure what weight this would carry.

Which university is this, by the way?
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Most universities understand that resit candidates often don't have new predicted grades for exactly the same reason as you - they're studying on their own. These universities can use your previous results, and the knowledge that you're spending another year studying, to make a reasonable prediction themselves. (For example, they may assume that you'll go up by one grade in each subject.)

If there anything in your application which would have led this university to assume that you're using a tutor? I think your only option is to respond by saying that you're studying independently without a tutor, and are therefore not in a position to provide a formal prediction. You could provide your own prediction if you like, but I'm not sure what weight this would carry.

Which university is this, by the way?

Thanks for the reply, I honestly thought that my previous grades would be enough to gague at least around where I would get since I got an ABDD and no fails. I don’t think I have given them any reason to believe I have a tutor other than maybe the exam centre I have listed for my resits? Currently I am inquiring with my old college if I can sort anything on short notice since they have given me till the 14th but I’m not holding out much hope because they are very particular about these types of things. This is uni of York that’s requested it but now I have a feeling that I’m going to get similar emails in coming days
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply, I honestly thought that my previous grades would be enough to gague at least around where I would get since I got an ABDD and no fails. I don’t think I have given them any reason to believe I have a tutor other than maybe the exam centre I have listed for my resits? Currently I am inquiring with my old college if I can sort anything on short notice since they have given me till the 14th but I’m not holding out much hope because they are very particular about these types of things. This is uni of York that’s requested it but now I have a feeling that I’m going to get similar emails in coming days

I've just recieved a similar email from uni of Edinburgh lovely
Just email them to confirm that you are studying independently for your resits and are not using a tutor. It's not an unusual scenario for the unis to be dealing with.
Reply 6

A little bit of an update, I emailed the uni in question explaining my situation and today I have received an offer from them.
A little bit of an update, I emailed the uni in question explaining my situation and today I have received an offer from them.

That's great news. Well done. :smile:
Hey sorry to jump on your thread but I am considering resitting my maths A level next year. My school won’t take students for resit. What are my options other than. Sitting independently? I am really confused about that. I am pretty sure I’ll fail this year and I want to know my options in case. Thanks and congrats on your offer !
Reply 9
Original post by Natnatnatbaby
Hey sorry to jump on your thread but I am considering resitting my maths A level next year. My school won’t take students for resit. What are my options other than. Sitting independently? I am really confused about that. I am pretty sure I’ll fail this year and I want to know my options in case. Thanks and congrats on your offer !

Thank you trust me as someone who was in your position everything is confusing, you could possibly try talking to other local colleges/sixth forms to see if they would let you sit their but I’m sitting mine with an independent exam centre, the only downside to this it costs quite a bit
Thank you trust me as someone who was in your position everything is confusing, you could possibly try talking to other local colleges/sixth forms to see if they would let you sit their but I’m sitting mine with an independent exam centre, the only downside to this it costs quite a bit

Thanks for your reply. It’s really stressful. Is it an online provider? So many ads when I try and search up. Super confusing.
Reply 11
I'd recommend reaching out to the uni ASAP, explain your situation, and see if they'd accept your previous exam results instead. Sometimes they can be flexible, especially if it's about personal issues during the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending