The Student Room Group

my gyg: time to lock in

hey! :bunny: i need to lock in (essentially, get a grip) and secure my grades for this year, so i thought i'd begin a silly little grow your grades blog like i've seen other people doing!

a little bit about me: i'm a welsh year 13 student studying further maths, english lit and psychology. i did my regular maths a-level last year and got an A* :smile: this year i'm predicted A*A*A*, but you wouldn't think it based on some of my test performances recently (mainly fm... i've had many breakdowns at the hand of that subject in the last few months...). i have offers for psychology from bath, bristol, kcl and ucl and was rejected from cambridge :dunce: ... but no hard feelings!

i find english my easiest a-level (somehow i always get really good grades even when i think i've bombed - i'm starting to think my teacher is a little too generous) and fm is definitely the hardest with the biggest workload. i find it difficult to balance it with psychology and english, so i'm kinda using this blog to stay accountable for not just revising maths but also spending time on my other subjects, otherwise i'm just not going to get the grades i want. i need AB to get into my first choice uni, but my personal grade goals are A*A*A this year, with the A in fm. an ambitious goal would be three A*s, but i am very much struggling in fm T_T

i'm currently unwell as of today (typical of me the sunday before half term) but i'm still gonna try to get into my grindset if ya know what i mean. i plan to write some psychology flashcards for criminality and revise some schizophrenia topics because i have not been keeping up with the old content! i also need to work on my john donne context for english and maybe revise a few of the poems we studied at the beginning of the year! i'll see how that goes and update sometime!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wrenathy
hey! :bunny: i need to lock in (essentially, get a grip) and secure my grades for this year, so i thought i'd begin a silly little grow your grades blog like i've seen other people doing!

a little bit about me: i'm a welsh year 13 student studying further maths, english lit and psychology. i did my regular maths a-level last year and got an A* :smile: this year i'm predicted A*A*A*, but you wouldn't think it based on some of my test performances recently (mainly fm... i've had many breakdowns at the hand of that subject in the last few months...). i have offers for psychology from bath, bristol, kcl and ucl and was rejected from cambridge :dunce: ... but no hard feelings!

i find english my easiest a-level (somehow i always get really good grades even when i think i've bombed - i'm starting to think my teacher is a little too generous) and fm is definitely the hardest with the biggest workload. i find it difficult to balance it with psychology and english, so i'm kinda using this blog to stay accountable for not just revising maths but also spending time on my other subjects, otherwise i'm just not going to get the grades i want. i need AB to get into my first choice uni, but my personal grade goals are A*A*A this year, with the A in fm. an ambitious goal would be three A*s, but i am very much struggling in fm T_T

i'm currently unwell as of today (typical of me the sunday before half term) but i'm still gonna try to get into my grindset if ya know what i mean. i plan to write some psychology flashcards for criminality and revise some schizophrenia topics because i have not been keeping up with the old content! i also need to work on my john donne context for english and maybe revise a few of the poems we studied at the beginning of the year! i'll see how that goes and update sometime!

helloooo welcome to grow your grades <3! i also study psychology (yayyy) and have also applied to kcl and ucl (well done for getting offers btw!) for linguistics :smile:! i am following your journey and cannot wait to see what you get up to ❤️ in return lol, here's the link to my own gyg 👀 emmanuella's year 13 gyg: fulfilling my academic potential - The Student Room
Reply 2
I was just goiing to say iVe never seen this gyg before but I realised it was a new one so I'll be here to follow along with you.

tagging people that might be interested @study23! @AspiringSurvivor @emm4nuella @milktee @agent_duck343 @heartz4moushi @flowersinmyhair
Reply 3
Original post by emm4nuella
helloooo welcome to grow your grades <3! i also study psychology (yayyy) and have also applied to kcl and ucl (well done for getting offers btw!) for linguistics :smile:! i am following your journey and cannot wait to see what you get up to ❤️ in return lol, here's the link to my own gyg 👀 emmanuella's year 13 gyg: fulfilling my academic potential - The Student Room

just seen this now lol
Reply 4

Hi nice to meet you! 4 A*s is such an ambitious goal (one that I have myself too in y12 rn) but having already got an A* in Maths you are clearly on the right track! I also take FM, then bio and chem, hoping to read Medicine next year (cambridge is my goal so if you have any tips I'd really appreciate it x). HUGE congrats on your 4 offers!

And ofc you're ill before half term, istg that's how it always is! I've just recovered from being ill so I hope you have a speedy recovery x
Reply 5
Original post by emm4nuella

Hiiii!!!! thank you for the welcome, double yay for psych students and kcl ucl applicants! :smile: i'll def take a look at yours, hopefully will help keep me motivated :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by study23!
Hi nice to meet you! 4 A*s is such an ambitious goal (one that I have myself too in y12 rn) but having already got an A* in Maths you are clearly on the right track! I also take FM, then bio and chem, hoping to read Medicine next year (cambridge is my goal so if you have any tips I'd really appreciate it x). HUGE congrats on your 4 offers!

And ofc you're ill before half term, istg that's how it always is! I've just recovered from being ill so I hope you have a speedy recovery x

hi there!!! i am for sure an ambitious student lol, sometimes unnecessarily stressful but it's definitely a good thing, i love to hear that you're aiming high too!! we got this! and thanks so much for the congratulations!! :biggrin:

as for the cambridge thing, i did manage to get to interview and was pooled but didn't get a place, though i'm not too upset because i am just so grateful for my other offers! i'd definitely suggest the typical personal statement stuff: write it during the summer (i started mine in august) and do as much as you can this year! i did summer schools, university programmes (not just from cambridge, any will do really), extra reading and participated in projects and competitions: i also would imagine for medicine a little bit of experience is important? though i'm not entirely sure since i applied for PBS haha. idk if sutton trust summer school apps are still open but if they are id totally recommend - looks awesome on a PS and you'll get a mentor to give you feedback if you'd like that!

thanks for the well wishes, i feel a lot better this evening, i've been hydrating to the max lol... trying to gear up for a productive half term !!
Reply 7
11/02
good eeeevening! trying to use cute emojis lol. anyways. i said i was feeling unwell earlier but i think i just had a bad night's sleep because i feel much better thankfully!

in terms of work, i spent some time making and reviewing flashcards for psych and using the gizmo.ai site: i saw it on my instagram feed and it's quite a cool study tool! i like it so far i hate revising psych evaluations... i find them so tedious, but the new tool made it a little more bearable lol. not my most productive day, but also not my least productive day, so hey! a win is a win and i haven't been revising psych AT ALL lately so it's good that i'm getting on with that

my plan for tomorrow is to hopefully hit my local library and:

study symptoms of schizophrenia

study the dopamine hypothesis and its evaluation

study go and catch a falling star (poem) and catch up on general john donne personal/historic context

study an hour of FM - i'm thinking some good old integration (probably reverse chain rule and the other method i've forgotten about... oops)

gonna go compile some FM past paper questions as an evening wind down task, then probably play some animal crossing on my switch for the first time in literal years. just fancy it, so, goodnight!!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
11/02
good eeeevening! trying to use cute emojis lol. anyways. i said i was feeling unwell earlier but i think i just had a bad night's sleep because i feel much better thankfully!

in terms of work, i spent some time making and reviewing flashcards for psych and using the gizmo.ai site: i saw it on my instagram feed and it's quite a cool study tool! i like it so far i hate revising psych evaluations... i find them so tedious, but the new tool made it a little more bearable lol. not my most productive day, but also not my least productive day, so hey! a win is a win and i haven't been revising psych AT ALL lately so it's good that i'm getting on with that

my plan for tomorrow is to hopefully hit my local library and:

study symptoms of schizophrenia

study the dopamine hypothesis and its evaluation

study go and catch a falling star (poem) and catch up on general john donne personal/historic context

study an hour of FM - i'm thinking some good old integration (probably reverse chain rule and the other method i've forgotten about... oops)

gonna go compile some FM past paper questions as an evening wind down task, then probably play some animal crossing on my switch for the first time in literal years. just fancy it, so, goodnight!!

welcomeee to gyg!! seeing a level student's gygs as a gcse student myself really does give me the harsh reality that i'm gna be in sixth form in less than 6 months... but you guys also motivate and inspire me at the same time, so i'll definitely be following you along your journey 🤍
goodluck with your workkk and hoping you can get a better night's sleep today <3
Reply 9
hi there!!! i am for sure an ambitious student lol, sometimes unnecessarily stressful but it's definitely a good thing, i love to hear that you're aiming high too!! we got this! and thanks so much for the congratulations!! :biggrin:

as for the cambridge thing, i did manage to get to interview and was pooled but didn't get a place, though i'm not too upset because i am just so grateful for my other offers! i'd definitely suggest the typical personal statement stuff: write it during the summer (i started mine in august) and do as much as you can this year! i did summer schools, university programmes (not just from cambridge, any will do really), extra reading and participated in projects and competitions: i also would imagine for medicine a little bit of experience is important? though i'm not entirely sure since i applied for PBS haha. idk if sutton trust summer school apps are still open but if they are id totally recommend - looks awesome on a PS and you'll get a mentor to give you feedback if you'd like that!

thanks for the well wishes, i feel a lot better this evening, i've been hydrating to the max lol... trying to gear up for a productive half term !!

Wow being pooled is a big achievement in itself, but as you said your four other offers are amazing too (especially UCL isn’t that like realty competitive?!) Thanks for the advice, and good luck with tomorrows revision. Going to a library to do it is such a good idea, I may steal that 😂
Reply 10
Original post by milktee
welcomeee to gyg!! seeing a level student's gygs as a gcse student myself really does give me the harsh reality that i'm gna be in sixth form in less than 6 months... but you guys also motivate and inspire me at the same time, so i'll definitely be following you along your journey 🤍
goodluck with your workkk and hoping you can get a better night's sleep today <3

ahhh hiiii!!! thank you for wishing me a better night's sleep: i certainly did get one! :smile:
my gcses were only 2 years ago which realistically isn't a lot of time but it really does feel like they were just yesterday, i can't believe i'm already in year 13! i miss gcses hahah, try not to burn out during them + wishing you tons of luck for them!! i was SO scared before starting college but i'm sure you too will adjust and be fine :P its great that you can use these posts as inspiration: i will be too, and i'm glad i can help motivate others ^_^
Reply 11
Original post by study23!
Wow being pooled is a big achievement in itself, but as you said your four other offers are amazing too (especially UCL isn’t that like realty competitive?!) Thanks for the advice, and good luck with tomorrows revision. Going to a library to do it is such a good idea, I may steal that 😂

yes, thank you so much, i am very much proud of my ucl offer hahahha! i 100% recommend the library strategy, i prefer my college's library to my local public one but i didn't feel like getting the bus all the way to college 😛
Reply 12
12/02

hi!!
today i achieved all of the study goals i listed yesterday, so i'm feeling pretty good! i went to the library at about 10 this morning and spent a few hours there revising psych. in the afternoon i revised a donne poem, spent an hour or so doing some integration questions and then returned to psych and revised one of my favourite explanations: the dopamine hypothesis for sz.! i used my flashcards to learn the explanation and for the evaluation i used gizmo.ai 😀

tomorrow i plan to:

revise more integration: more reverse chain rule and improper integrals, and do some partial fractions too

revise another Donne poem

revise structural abnormalities sz.

not too hefty of a list because i need to remember to keep my goals manageable!
(edited 2 months ago)
12/02

hi!!
today i achieved all of the study goals i listed yesterday, so i'm feeling pretty good! i went to the library at about 10 this morning and spent a few hours there revising psych. in the afternoon i revised a donne poem, spent an hour or so doing some integration questions and then returned to psych and revised one of my favourite explanations: the dopamine hypothesis for sz.! i used my flashcards to learn the explanation and for the evaluation i used gizmo.ai 😀

tomorrow i plan to:

revise more integration: more reverse chain rule and improper integrals, and do some partial fractions too

revise another Donne poem

revise structural abnormalities sz.

not too hefty of a list because i need to remember to keep my goals manageable!

ahhh well done on your revision. I just did my risk assesment today ebcause I was feeling entirely too demotivated (everyone on my gyg knows about this lol its acc sad) buttt im going to try do some now and if not then tmr.

Good luck for your revision tmr xx
Reply 14
Original post by Tatakae L
ahhh well done on your revision. I just did my risk assesment today ebcause I was feeling entirely too demotivated (everyone on my gyg knows about this lol its acc sad) buttt im going to try do some now and if not then tmr.

Good luck for your revision tmr xx

hehe thank you it took a lot of willpower to study. i just read your latest gyg entry abt the risk assessment, is it for psychology? sounds annoying lol, i dont think my exam board has that. good luck with your work and whatever you get up to tomorrow!! :smile:
hehe thank you it took a lot of willpower to study. i just read your latest gyg entry abt the risk assessment, is it for psychology? sounds annoying lol, i dont think my exam board has that. good luck with your work and whatever you get up to tomorrow!! :smile:

its for chemistry and it is drving me nuts. i hate science risk assesments theyre such a downer after the practicles.
and thank yiuuu
Reply 16
ahhh hiiii!!! thank you for wishing me a better night's sleep: i certainly did get one! :smile:
my gcses were only 2 years ago which realistically isn't a lot of time but it really does feel like they were just yesterday, i can't believe i'm already in year 13! i miss gcses hahah, try not to burn out during them + wishing you tons of luck for them!! i was SO scared before starting college but i'm sure you too will adjust and be fine :P its great that you can use these posts as inspiration: i will be too, and i'm glad i can help motivate others ^_^

i'm glad to hear thatt!!
yes omg for me it's the case that y10 just zoomed by and y11 is literally going by at twice the speed 💔 thank you so muchhh 🤍
Reply 17
Original post by Tatakae L
its for chemistry and it is drving me nuts. i hate science risk assesments theyre such a downer after the practicles.
and thank yiuuu

omg chemistry of course… sorry i have 0 familiarity with chem a-level but that does sound dreadful, everyone ik who takes chem constantly complains about how hard it is i salute you for being a chem student because i for sure couldn’t do it 🫡
omg chemistry of course… sorry i have 0 familiarity with chem a-level but that does sound dreadful, everyone ik who takes chem constantly complains about how hard it is i salute you for being a chem student because i for sure couldn’t do it 🫡

aww thank you. im only first year so i dread what is yet to come.
Reply 19

heyy! that's crazy we basically applied for the same unis! I applied to oxford kcl ucl bath and york for psych! I only have offers from kcl and york so far (and a rejection from oxford but we move). When did you hear back from bath as im hoping to put them as my insurance and kcl as my firm ASAP? congrats on all your offers!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending