The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Cambridge medicine?

I got 888776665 in my gcses , however I am working really hard to get predicted three a stars.
I have done lots of volunteer work and I have done work experience .
I am also a young carer and have two autistic siblings. I really want to get into Cambridge tell me if I am being delusional.
(edited 2 months ago)
To be honest your GCSEs are lower than the vast majority of Cambridge students but Cambridge don't have any strict GCSE requirements, they look at everything holistically. It could definitely be possible to make up for your GCSEs with high A level grades, good personal statement and good interview performance, etc
Note that to be a competitive applicant for Cambridge medicine you need to be doing 3 STEM subjects at A-level. It's the only medical school where those doing only 2 STEM subjects are statistically less successful than those doing 3.

Also it doesn't matter what medical school You go to in the UK. The GMC considers all medical schools equal and the NHS, which is the only provider of graduate medical training posts, also takes this dtance and blinds recruiters from your medical school to ensure there is NO bias.

The important thing is to get into ANY medical school, and you should choose them based on how well your profile fits their shortlisting criteria.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Note that to be a competitive applicant for Cambridge medicine you need to be doing 3 STEM subjects at A-level. It's the only medical school where those doing only 2 STEM subjects are statistically less successful than those doing 3.

Also it doesn't matter what medical school You go to in the UK. The GMC considers all medical schools equal and the NHS, which is the only provider of graduate medical training posts, also takes this dtance and blinds recruiters from your medical school to ensure there is NO bias.

The important thing is to get into ANY medical school, and you should choose them based on how well your profile fits their shortlisting criteria.

I do three stem subjects I’m top of my class for 2
Original post by Asma135
I do three stem subjects I’m top of my class for 2

Then no reason not to apply but don't focus on it...your goal should be medicine (anywhere), not Cambridge.
Reply 5
there are also drawbacks to studying at Oxbridge if you don't want to pursue academic medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending