The Student Room Group

2nd Degree stem subject

Hi!

I am looking to return back to study a HNC Level 4 in computing and wondering if I would get funding for this as I already have had student finance for a previous degree.

My last degree was in Digital Media Design, but I want to go back to college and study computing. Could you advise me on what if any, funding I could get. I am 26 and very confused!
Original post by Jesslaa7
Hi!

I am looking to return back to study a HNC Level 4 in computing and wondering if I would get funding for this as I already have had student finance for a previous degree.

My last degree was in Digital Media Design, but I want to go back to college and study computing. Could you advise me on what if any, funding I could get. I am 26 and very confused!

Hi there,

Would you be looking to study at full time or part time? Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
Part time, unless full time allowed me to get the funding.
Part time, unless full time allowed me to get the funding.

Thanks for confirming. If it is Part Time then it would be classed as an exception course so you can get funding. Thanks, Ross
Reply 4
Original post by Ross SLC
Thanks for confirming. If it is Part Time then it would be classed as an exception course so you can get funding. Thanks, Ross

Is that maintenence and tuition or just tuition. Also can it be at a college or does it have to be at a university? Thanks!
Is that maintenence and tuition or just tuition. Also can it be at a college or does it have to be at a university? Thanks!

It would be for both. Either university or college. If you have one in mind let us know and we will double check. Thanks, Ross
Reply 6
It would be for both. Either university or college. If you have one in mind let us know and we will double check. Thanks, Ross

HNC Level 4 Computing Part Time at Nottingham College. Thanks!
HNC Level 4 Computing Part Time at Nottingham College. Thanks!

We can offer funding to that college. If you are wanting to study in September you would apply for the 24/25 Academic Year and the applications will be live within 2 months. Thanks, Ross
Reply 8
We can offer funding to that college. If you are wanting to study in September you would apply for the 24/25 Academic Year and the applications will be live within 2 months. Thanks, Ross

Perfect thank you so much!
Perfect thank you so much!

You are welcome! Any further queries please let us know. Thanks, Ross
Reply 10
Hi,

I emailed Nottingham College about student finance and they have said

'To answer your query about student finance, unfortunately the regulations only allow Student Finance England to fund Higher Education study once at each level. This means that once you have achieved a Level 6 qualification (ie a full BA Honours), you would only be eligible to apply for funding for a Level 7 course, ie a postgraduate course such as a Master’s.'

I told them as it was computing its a stem subject I could qualify for student finance. And they replied

'The information we have is that funding is only available for your first HE course. However, if a Student Finance England adviser has confirmed that support is available then it is worth asking for written confirmation. Then you could apply as soon as the application cycle opens in late February/early March.'

Could you clarify if the course I wrote above at Nottingham college is covered by student finance. As I am getting conflicting information.

Thank you!
Hi there. Yes, it is a part-time exception course and therefore we wouldn't take your previous qualification in to account.

On the system we share with the universities to check the course, they haven't added this one on for 24/25 yet. However, it was on there for 23/24 and it was funded by us. They would need to add it on for 24/25 Academic Year to confirm it will definitely be funded by us. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending